Chapter 7: Beginnings

"Thanks so much for coming out tonight, its been a pleasure playing for you tonight. I got one more song for ya," I say looking out at the reasonably sized crowd in the bar. The lights are shining bright in my eyes but I can just see Sarah sat at the bar, watching me with a proud smile. She turns and speaks to a man beside her and gestures towards me, his gaze falls on me and he smiles also. I'm a little confused but I put it aside for now and focus on what I'm doing.

"I wrote this song the other day, its about my Grandma who passed away 4 years ago. This is my first time playing for anyone so I hope you guys like it and maybe can relate to it a little." I finish speaking and start to play.

You said when you'd die that you'd walk with me every day
And I'd start to cry and say please don't talk that way
With the blink of an eye the Lord came and asked you to meet
You went to a better place but He stole you away from me

And now she lives in heaven
But I know they let her out
To take care of me

There's a strange kind of light
Caressing me tonight
Pray silence my fear she is near
Bringing heaven down here

I miss your love I miss your touch
But I'm feeling you every day
And I can almost hear you say
'You've come a long way baby'

And now you live in heaven
But I know they let you out
To take care of me

There's a strange kind of light
In my bedroom tonight
Pray silence my fear she is near
Bring your heaven down here

You taught me kings and queens
While stroking my hair
In my darkest hour I know you are there
Kneeling down beside me
Whispering my prayer

Yes there's a strange kind of light
Caressing me tonight
Pray silence my fear
She is near
Bringing heaven down here

The next time that we meet
I will bow at her feet
And say wasn't life sweet
Then we'll prepare
To take heaven down there

The crowd erupts into applause as I finish playing and I am blown away. I stand up and thank everyone before stepping off stage and walking to Sarah. Just as I near her she runs and throws her arms around me.

"You nailed it! I knew you would! And that last song... oh my goodness you almost had us crying!" Sarah said into my ear as we embraced.

"Who's us?" I reply anxiously 

"Oh of course, I'm sorry! Alex this is Ryan Murphy; writer, director, producer and dear friend of mine." Sarah turns to face Ryan and he reaches out to shake my hand which I accept.

"Mr Murphy of course, Sarah talks about you a lot. It's a pleasure to meet you." I say with a smile, knowing this man has helped Sarah so much with her career.

"Please call me Ryan and the pleasure is all mine. You are very talented, Sarah hasn't shut up about you for weeks!" Ryan gives Sarah a playful nudge as he finishes speaking and she looks away bashfully. I grasp her hand and give it a squeeze, she looks up and smiles.

"I was texting Sarah earlier and she told me she was here watching you play, I hope you don't mind that I dropped by." Ryan continued.

"Oh of course not, it's an honour." I say and lean on the bar to order a drink.

"So has Sarah mentioned anything about the position we are hiring for on the next season of American Horror Story?" Ryan asked and I give him and Sarah a confused look. Sarah clears her throat to speak.

"Um no I haven't said anything," Sarah said nervously.

"Well I'm no actor so I don't know why you'd talk to me about it," I reply with a laugh.

"Oh its not an acting role! I have some ideas for songs in the season but we need someone to help us adapt them appropriately for the show and to help Sarah and some of the other cast members in the recording studio." Ryan explains and you pause.