10

Zendaya  P.O.V

We'd been walking for a minute in total silence before we made it to some small town that looked like it only had the necessities, a hospital, fire station, police station and a school. We saw a motel and decided to crash there, figure out our next move. After we got settled in a two bed room, we took turns in the shower and sat on our phones. The tension in the room was so thick, I could've cut it with a butcher knife.

"The vibes in here suck." I said.

"Shut up, hippie. I'm surprised you actually shower." Lauren said, flipping aimlessly through the channels on the old television.

"Excuse me, did I do something to you Lauren?" I asked politely.

"Why are you being nice to her Z? She's always being a bitch, be a bitch back." Lisa said, sitting in a corner, finally eating the snicker she bought, excuse me, stole. Lauren looked at Lisa and she winked at her, making Lauren fake gag.

"Cause I'm not a bitch. I'm a sweetheart by nature." I said.

"Are you calling me a bitch?" Lauren asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Calling it like I see AND know it Jauregui. This whole trip, you've been being a bitch. A stupid one." I said calmly, folding and unfolding my hands. China scoffed and kept combing her hair in the mirror that was next to the table I was sitting at.

"What's funny Russ-"

"Yeah yeah yeah. You're like a broken record Jauregui. Yes, my name is a country, haha bitch, funny. Tired of hearing it." China said.

"Then shut up."

"What the fuck did I even say?"

"THATS ENOUGH! I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT!" Normani yelled, scaring all of us. She made Lauren accidentally turn the tv off, China drop her comb, and Lisa hit her head on the wall. I chuckled but I guess I was the only one who saw it.

"This trip was supposed to be fun! We haven't gone a day without arguing yet! We're all grown, this is ridiculous! Whatever the problem is, you muthafuckas need to talk about it! NOW!" She said like a mother yelling at her kids. Lauren huffed and turned the t.v. back on. Normani smacked her lips and snatched the remote from the pale girl, turning the tv back off.

"Lauren. Go." Normani said.

"I feel like she should go last cause everyone has a problem with her specifically." China said, resuming with combing her hair.

"Whatever-"

"Okay then, go ahead China." Mani said. China huffed and sat down in the other seat at the small table.

"I know I have germophobia. I've had it for years. But I've gotten way better with my habits than before. I don't need you, OR Lisa, rubbing it in my face. I know how I am." She said, looking at Lauren.

"K, whatever." Lauren said, leaning back on the bed.

"Z." Mani said, looking at me.

"Okay well. I'm not a hippie. And... I'm not a Buddhist either so... yeah. All that was incorrect. I don't have a problem with you really Jauregui. I do have a problem with your mouth. Your comments, uncalled for." I said.

"Right." Lauren said, staring at the blank t.v.

"Lis-"

"I'm not stupid!  You all call me stupid and I'm not! I'm just a little slower then you guys but I'm still smart, kinda!" She blurted out. China snorted and Lisa pointed at her.

"Oh my God, and it's always you China! You have a superiority complex and it's starting to get aggravating." Lisa said. Wait a damn minute. I looked around the room at the other women's shocked expressions.

"First of all, I don't have a superiority complex. I'm aware of who I am and I'm confident. Don't get that mixed up with superiority, while you tryna use new words and shit." China said.

"Right, where'd you learn those words at?" I asked her. She shrugged and leaned back against the wall.

"Great. Everyone got everything off their chest. So say sorry so we can be cool again." Normani said.

"I'm sorry." (China)

"I apologize." (Me)

"Sorry." (Lauren )

"Man, my bad." (Lisa)

"Now, I suggest we find some food around here cause, I'm starving." Normani said.

"Word. Let's walk around. There must be a diner or something." I said. We all started putting on shoes and then left the room. Lisa was skipping in front of everybody, China and Mani were talking about something, and Lauren was trailing behind us all, hands in her pockets and a frown plastered on her face. She's very unstable, and I don't think anyone notices it except me. Probably cause she beat the shit outta me. Only cause I let her though. She needs to be on her medicine again. After ten more minutes of walking, we saw a small diner come into view.

"Guys look! A diner." Lisa said, running toward the diner. We all followed behind her. There were a bunch of older white people in here, glaring at us. We took a seat in a booth and waited for a waiter to assist us. When one didn't come for almost ten minutes, we started to get a little antsy.

"Excuse me?!" Lauren yelled, after being the only one not talking. A red haired lady wearing red lipstick walked over to us.

"Can I help you?" She said, like we interrupted her or something.

"Uhm, yes. We wanna order food." Lauren said.

"Well you and the blonde can order whatever you want. The nigras and the mixed breed gotta get out. We don't serve their kind here." She said, shooting me a hateful glance. Normani stood up angrily.

"Excuse me? What the hell did you just call us, you fucking bigot?!" She yelled.

"This is why we don't serve you people. You're always angry, especially you black women." She said.

"You know what, fuck you and this damn diner! We don't want none of this damn dog food anyway, you old bitch!" Lisa spat. I stood up and heard a gun click, making me immediately put my hands up. I turned to see a fat, white man with a receding hairline aiming a shotgun at my friends and I.

"Get out of here, all of you! Before I call the cops!" He said. We all left the diner immediately, walking back to the motel.

"Can we say fuck the south and just head for Chicago?" China said as we walked.

"Everyone in the south isn't like that, I'm sure." Lauren said.

"No no no Lauren. You don't get to say shit. Cause you'll never know what if feels like to be told you can't eat somewhere because of the color of your skin. Ever." I said angrily.

"I didn't mean- I was just- I"

"Just be quiet Lauren. It's fine." Normani said.

"I'm sorry you guys. I was gonna punch that bitch clean in her mouth if dude didn't have a fucking rifle." Lisa said.

"It was a shotgun and gee, thanks buddy." China said with fake enthusiasm. We got back to the room and stayed in all day, ready to continue with our trip tomorrow.
********************