eight

He did it

He did it. He saved them. He cured all of them. Do you trust him now?

I want to. I want this to be over.

The Doctor and Cassandra arrived back in Ward 26. The NNYPD was announcing instructions over the loudspeaker. The staff was to be immediately arrested. The new humans were to be taken into care. He saved the day.

The Doctor jolted. "The Face of Boe!" He grabbed Cassandra by the arm and dragged her back upstairs and over to the Face of Boe. Rose was sitting next to him. They seemed to be having a pleasant conversation. Rose laughed and leaned her head on the glass container. The Doctor watched them for a moment, smiling softly, before speaking up. "You were supposed to be dying."

There are better things to do today. Dying can wait.

Cassandra groaned. "Oh, I hate telepathy. Just what I need, a head full of big face. It's already crowded enough in here."

You knew. You knew what the cats were doing. That's why you asked the Doctor to come here, so he could stop it. You were never going to die today.

Oh, Bowie, you sly dog.

"Shh!" the Doctor and Rose hushed in unison.

I have grown tired with the universe, Doctor, but you have taught me to look at it anew.

"There are legends, you know, saying that you're millions of years old," Rose said, rising to her feet. She moved to stand by the Doctor and take his hand.

There are? That would be impossible.

"Oh, not impossible," the Doctor insisted. "I think you just need to expand your horizons. I got the impression there was something you wanted to tell me."

Oh, isn't he funny?

Son of a bitch. He stole my line!

A great secret.

The Doctor grinned. "So the legend says."

It can wait.

"Oh, does it have to?" the Doctor whined.

We shall meet again, Doctor, for the third time, for the last time, and the truth shall be told. Until that day. 

Will I see you again?

I'm afraid not. Not like this. Goodbye, my diva. It has been an honor to be your friend.

Goodbye, Bowie. May the stars grant you safe passage to the beyond.

The Face of Boe beamed away.

Entirely unaware of the tearful goodbye that just happened in Nora's head, the Doctor scoffed. "That is enigmatic. That, that is, that is textbook enigmatic." He turned to Cassandra. "And now for you."