nine

Nora spent three days on bed rest, during which the Doctor and Rose refused to leave her side

Nora spent three days on bed rest, during which the Doctor and Rose refused to leave her side. Rose would bring her food and water while the Doctor sat on an armchair next to her bed. He'd read to her or they'd do the crossword together. Nora told them (many, many times) that she was fine, that they could leave her alone and go off on an adventure just the two of them, but they insisted they weren't leaving the TARDIS until she felt better.

On the fourth day, Nora threw the covers off and shouted, "I'm bored!" She jumped out of bed and ran into her bathroom to wash her face.

The Doctor jolted. "What? Get back in bed!"

"No," she said simply. "I'm bored. I want to do something."

"No," the Doctor shot back. He hovered in her bathroom doorway as she brushed her teeth. "No, Nora, no adventures. Rest for at least a week, then we can talk adventures. Hey. Nora!" He grabbed her by the shoulder and tried to guide her back to bed. She scoffed and shoved him so he fell back on the bed. She climbed on top of him.

She pinned him down against the mattress, batting her eyelashes. "Please? It doesn't have to be an adventure. I just need to get out of the TARDIS." He didn't say anything. He just stared at her, astonished. Her eyes lit up as the perfect idea hit her. "Concert! We should go to a concert!"

She clambered off him and off to her closet. The Doctor seemed to finally snap back to reality and outstretched his arm in a fruitless attempt to pull her back. "Nora! No, we are not going to a concert! Nora? Nora, please, just get back in bed."

Nora didn't listen, too busy rummaging through the walk-in closet the TARDIS had created for her. She was tired of being in her pajamas. She closed the door behind her and stripped off her clothes. She pulled on a pair of dark jean shorts and a strappy tank top. She slipped on some no-show socks and a comfortable pair of shoes. She pulled her hair up into a high ponytail and stepped out of the closet.

The Doctor was sitting on her bed, hands folded in his lap. When she stepped out, he jumped up and rounded on her. Her new look threw him for a second. It was the most skin she'd shown, but she'd learned early on in her concert-going-career that it was best to wear as little clothing as possible for multiple reasons: less likely to sweat to death, free drinks, backstage access, to name a few. She crossed the room back to her bathroom to apply some makeup.

"Nora," the Doctor whined. "You need to get more rest."

Nora massaged primer into her skin. "Pick the concert. I'll be ready in 15."

He came up behind her in the mirror, watching intently as she took to applying her foundation. "Nora, please. I don't want you to strain yourself."

"I'll be fine," Nora insisted. "Seriously. If I don't get out of this room and talk to people who aren't you, Tris, or Rose, I'll lose my mind." She dabbed on her concealer. The Doctor finally realized he was fighting a losing battle and just sighed before leaving her bathroom and seconds later her room.