Chapter One

"Should we be going back?" Shane asked, he stared at the vibrant orange, pink, yellow and red sunset with me. I shook my head. I really didn't want to go, I just wanted to feel the soft, cushioning breeze slightly blow around my long hair and breathe in the fresh cool air with my bare feet buried in the warm sand, melting away all my stress. I just wanted to be alone with him and be like this forever.

I knew that we were both late. I'd worry about that, though. At least, not yet.

^####^

"BOO!" I shrieked, making my best friend Jack nearly leap out of his skin. All the lights in the basement were off.  I was introducing him to a new favorite show, quite possibly.

 He only rolled his eyes and looked back at the hypnotizing screen. My left temple started to ache and I paused the show, rubbing my aching temple and relaxing on the beanbag.

"So now your head hurts. It's been.. what? The second we got out of school and now, right? What time is it anyways?" I pointed to the clock over the television, 7:43 am and we had not slept at all yet.

"I'm going to sleep." He said without asking to sleep over here. I only nodded as he crashed on the nearest couch. Turning off the televisionn, I laid down on the same couch as my eyes got heavier. Since my downstairs only had one couch, Jack and I had to share. Our backs were against each other like when we were kids. When we woke up, we'd see who had fallen off. My legs seemed to sink into the uncomfortable cushioning. Leaving my feet and hands to sit on top of the cushion instead of sinking down.

 Barely opening my eyes, I heard soft snoring

 ^####^

"Anne, you were lucky. This time." My father spoke threateningly, his voice full of darkness. I stared at the marble flooring in embarassment. My mother replied to nothing, but shooed Shane and I away before he yelled at me again. I scrunched up my dress as I picked up the ends and lifted them below my knees so I did not step on the sleek, silky brown gown that shone a creamy tan on it when the lights illuminated the wrinkles on it. we walked to our most favorite room, the loft. The sweet and soft scent of vanilla and raspberries wafted around the room, calming my nerves from the harshness in my father's voice. I was almost never yelled. The loft was the only area that was carpeted in the whole mansion and the room had never been occupied except for Shane and I. The only thing we did was play with a ball, read, and sometimes Shane would tell me jokes. The black carpet was soft and plush on my feet like the two deep red love-seats that Shane laid down on.

A small table was set beside the couch with a candle and two clipboards with about ten sheets of paper on each and two pencils set beside the candle. Shane took a translucent ball with blue stripes from his pocket, and he threw it at the oak coffee-table in between us. Without even looking, I put my palm in front of me, waiting for the warm sphere to hit my palm with very  little force. Something smooth touched my palm and I squeezed the circular shape, grasping it easily.

***********************************************

Sorry, this is so short because I changed it, so Kori does do boxing, but I won't explain it.