Chapter Six

I woke up on the floor of a bathroom that did not look like my aunt Mary's bathroom at all. Her bathroom was an ugly, bright shade of yellow, when this was a calm shade of dark aqua. The color seemed to give me enough energy to sit up.

  I noticed my hair was wet and I grabbed the two towels on the tiled floor before anyone came into the room. Drying up, I looked in the mirror, nearly fainting. My long, black hair was now a chocolate brown. The girl in the mirror had hair the length in between her jaw and shoulders, the fronts nearly touching her shoulders. 

 The brunette's face went pale fast. Her dazzling dark amber eyes went huge and her mouth was shaped into a large O. This person's eyelashes seemed unnaturally long and thick, so I pulled at the lashes to see if they were faux, and then I used my nail to see if she used mascara. No, they were natural. Her hand lightly touched her forehead and I felt it. I was not myself.

  Her hair was quite odd after I stood there astonished as it dried. The fronts were very long, longer than the rest of her hair at least. The ends were choppy and I preferred hair that has completely even on the ends. A pair of drab pajamas were laid down on the tiled floor beside a toilet. Both were plaid and extremely soft. Dark blue flannel bottoms that fit me perfectly but were still baggy and an amber button-up top that was also flannel, but nearly went to my knees. What kind of person wears these? A knock on the door made me nearly fall into the empty bathtub.

 ^###^

  I gasped for air the second my eyes opened, my heart pounding and my head aching. A short flashback repeated before my eyes, a person, I had no idea what gender due to the ski mask over their face, about to hit a girl about my age with some bat. The bat was centimeters from her face the second she turned her head. Before it hit her, the vision blacked out. The repeating mental video finally disappeared once my breathing evened out and an old lady, who was beside me the entire time, smiled at me. My entire body tensed.

 "Who are you?"

 The lady, who I had the feeling was a pedophile by the way she smiled, grinned even wider.

"Shouldn't you be asking that about yourself?"

 I gave her a questioning glance. Like it was the answer to my problems, she handed me a large mirror, the edges looked like someone melted big pearls around the mirror and tried to reform them into pearls again.

 I slowly moved the mirror to my face. When I saw another girl other than me in the mirror, the air seemed to be sucked out of me. I ever so slowly opened my mouth and showed my teeth, her teeth were perfect, straight and blindingly white. My teeth were usually slightly yellowing. My auburn hair was not auburn, but jet black.

 I looked down to see her hair nearly brushing against the couch cushioning. Even my face was different, her skin was paler than my tan skin, she had no imperfections, along with her faux-looking bright turquoise eyes. This is not me. No. Nada. Where am I and who am I?

 ^###^

  "Ko- Um... Uh.. Are you in here?" An elderly female voice shouted out sharply.

 I considered saying nothing, but my brain didn't take no for an answer. "Yes, ma'am." My voice was raspy and dry, almost like her's.

"Ma'am? This is just gettin' better and better!"

 Her voice mumbled to herself, I had no idea if she was telling the truth or being sarcastic. 

   Checking to make sure I had pajamas on, I politely told her she could come in. Her appearance frightened me for a few moments. She wore an olive green shirt that was tucked in matching camo bottoms. On her feet were just plain green rain boots. Her snow colored hair seemed to be chopped off with some sort of knife since tiny bits were uneven and her hair was above her shoulders by a few inches. Her sharp brown eyes reminded me of a hawk searching for it's next meal.