Chapter Seven

The ringing ebbed away little by little until my head didn't ache as bad. My feet were sore and raw from the concrete and cold sprays of water spitting at me, drenching me in a mix of rain and sweat. My short hair stuck to the back of my neck and the fronts of my waving hair as I ran were starting to drive me insane. The shadows that followed me had made me shaky and weak, but I didn't stop for any rests.

When I did though, the lady who gave me my card-weapon popped out of a hiding place, making me panic and stare in horror until I knew who she was.

"You should've used that card to kill them!" She pointed at my face.

"What were those things?" My voice quivered because of my teeth were still chattering.

"They have no names, but they are a shard of dead peoples' souls. The part of their soul that tried telling the human's brain that everyone hates them and that no one loves them. They come back for "revenge" as shadow monsters with terrifying wings and red skull shaped masks. You saw them."

Ringing filled my ears again, but behind buildings, behind an abandoned donut shop. She pressed her middle finger on her ear with the rest of her fingers below. Her beady eyes became darker and more serious, making me uncomfortable and a bit more scared of her.

"

Your partner is in trouble. You'll know later. Go! Follow that ringing and finish this place up! It's cold and creepy. Hurry!"

Impatience dripped in her voice and the same for her choice of words. Replying with a short nod, I sprinted off towards the donut shop, the shop's glass still in place except for a few cracks in the glass like someone was throwing pebbles at the window as hard as they could.

Ringing filled my head still, but it was on my right, making me go through mazes of garbage cans, broken glass, and random debris all around. The ringing increased until it felt like the monsters were right between the brick wall in front of me. The only problem was that the brick wall seemed to go on forever. Left and right. Nothing was strong enough to hold me up or light enough for me to move.

As I inspected the never-ending wall, I noticed the builder was probably lazy and made some bricks stick out. Stick out. I could use the bricks that stuck out as a ladder to get over the wall! The only problem was that the bricks were a bit spaced out form the others.

Ignoring the fact that I could fall and break something, the body I was in was nearly flexible enough to do the splits and the balls of her feet were calloused enough not to bleed or turn raw from the bricks. Her heels were the ones not calloused. Once I was high enough to put up my weapon over the brick wall, I copied what the camo lady did with my card and the card flew at one of the monster's head, slicing it in half like jell-o.

A small howl released behind its mask before turning into black fire and disintegrating itself in ten seconds. I focused on the card and grabbed it again with two fingers holding the card. The second monster looked left and right. Its bloodred mask faced me and a growl ripped out of the mask into the cold, dusty air. The monster's wings spreaded out and started shaking threateningly before it flew at me full speed, nearly faster than light itself. Panicked, I threw the card at the monster randomly, slicing its head in half too. Not a sound was made when it died.

Grabbing the card from the air, I walked slowly to a stand made of gold that was illuminating the ground like the reflection of water. On that stand was a beautiful amulet with a turquoise gem in the middle as the shape of an oval. Gently picking it up, I clipped it around my neck and the gold stand illuminated everything, blinding me and knocking me to the concrete on a tiny pile of glass.

^###^

The whole team said nothing, maybe a few congratulations to nearby people by others, but very little was heard by the leader. They had accomplished part of plan B, they were now at the most infuriating part of all. Leading and guiding the newbies.