Chapter Eight

Concrete was finally under our shoes and brick skyscrapers towered over us. Broken windows made the mood creepier, along with the screeches that would empty my train of thought every time. As my mind started to wander off, my vision became blurry and I felt alone. Blinking many times, Felix was long gone. Nowhere to be seen. The screeching fortunately decreased, but my anxiety went up.

 "Felix!" I shouted, attempting to be quiet, but loud enough for a human to hear about twenty feet away.

  He didn't answer, but what seemed like an answer was the sound of a male. A male who was shouting his head off. And man, did that make me run.

  ^####^

  "Wait!" I called out to her, a blank expression on her face as she turned her head towards me.

 "Are you searching for a partner?"

  She opened her mouth to speak, but instead, her eyes rolled inside her head and she fell backwards with her back arched in an uncomfortable way with her face at the ground like she was a rag doll. As her body started to disintegrate, a dark shadow came from where her heart would be, becoming a monster I had begun to fear very quickly.

  It's familiar, terrifying red mask inches from my face, deep breathing from behind the mask seemed  to stop my heart in fear. Where the eye-holes in the mask would be were back and dark with gray spots almost like dim lights. I backed away, but it only followed. Reaching for my card, I didn't throw it. I took my fear and attempted to turn it into strength. Using it like a knife, I stabbed repeatedly at its mask, squeals and screeches coming from the monster.

  It laid there on the concrete until it also went away.  I walked over to where the girl fell like there was chalk that traced around her body before she disintegrated. I thought deeply about what just happened, memorizing every single detail I saw and what happened.

  Wait. Humans don't disintegrate on their own... That wasn't the real girl. That was an impostor. That's what the lady said about making sure if they are really human.

  ^####^

  "Kori!"

 The shouts were closer than before, making me gain speed. As active as I was, I was even out of breath then. Eerie silence crawled everywhere around the buildings. Did he die? Is Felix alive? A second later, something grabbed my waist and pulled me the opposite way I was running. The back of my head and my back hit the brick wall hard, knocking half of the air out of my lungs. My stomach muscles tightened when I knew someone was holding me against the wall firmly.

  I tried shouting "Who are you?" but all that came out was a painful grunt due to the lack of oxygen. I couldn't see the guy's face, only his mouth that had an evil yet attractive grin. A gray hat covered his eyes and shadowed anything above his nose. To be honest, it looked pretty bad-ass. His blonde hair  seemed to be in his eyes a bit. My waist began to burn from his tight grip that wouldn't let go.

  "For being someone really important, you can be quite vulnerable. You are like an idiot dog. You trust anyone and everyone. You follow them like you are their shadow." His soft voice was Felix's. The attractive, evil grin got wider.

 ^####^

 The pit of my stomach felt heavy. That either meant:

 1) I am hungry

 2) I should stick around a while to see if someone comes over here

 3) I need to run away from this area, now

 To be honest, they all sounded pretty good, but number 2 (Stop laughing) became my final answer.

 For what felt like hours, I stood behind a pillar nearby and raked my eyes over everything suspicious or not. Listening as best as I could, I tried to hear anything weird, other than the annoying, sharp wind that chilled me to the bone.

  Really wish I had a favorite jacket now.. I thought to myself. With no jacket, I stood behind a pillar, shaking violently with my teeth beginning to ache from chattering so much. I knew I wouldn't make it if I stayed out here, but I had already tried, none of the buildings around had heaters.

 My heart dropped. The sound of someone running quietly was behind me. What came next was a little unexpected, heavy breathing came from the opposite side of the pillar I relaxed on. Without thought, I yelled out and jumped at the innocent guy, my card above my head threateningly and my other hand on his shoulder. I felt sort of proud of myself. I just pinned some person to the ground! His face was full of shock and confusion, something quite normal nowadays.

 "Who are you?" I ask, trying to be at least a little scary.

 "I-I don't know! I'm not even sure who I am or where I'm at!" His deep blue eyes told the truth, a small twinkle of craziness somehow in his eyes too. My angry expression softened to only a worried-threatening look.

 "Try to remember. Reminisce." I got off of him, leaning on the pillar once again and gesturing for him to remember. His hair was long, yet short and blonde, parts of the back flying up everywhere. He reminded me of a crazy person who just got out of prison or a mental hospital, but he seemed so calm right now. You know, for a dude who was pinned down by me even though he was 2 feet taller, he acted like that never happened.

 ANYONE KNOW WHO HE IS? >:3  SORRY IT'S A BIT SHORT... I'VE BEEN IN A CLIFFHANGER MOOD.