The nightmare begins

~Fahad~

~Flashback~

Nine year old Hadiyah sat right in front of me, swinging and singing to herself. She had her back towards me, giving me the perfect opportunity to scare her. I walked as stealthily as I could, careful not to step on the many dry leaves spread across the playground by the autumn wind.

On getting closer I realised that she wasn't singing but reciting, and that too my favorite Surah, Surah An-Nabaa.

Surah An-Naba, Verse 18:

يَوْمَ يُنفَخُ فِي الصُّورِ فَتَأْتُونَ أَفْوَاجًا

The day on which the trumpet shall be blown so you shall come forth in hosts,
(English - Shakir)

via iQuran

She recited, completely ruining the beautiful verse. I covered my ears with my hands, having forgotten all about my 'gota scare her' plan. I spoke out spitefully.

"What are you doing to my favorite Surah, you devilish girl." I glared at her.

"What do you mean, Fahu bhai?"

"Hadiyah you're not reciting properly bhai, you must pronounce all the sounds properly, focus on the zair, zabaar and paish. Your voice must be strong, bring out the inner strength girl."

"I'm trying baba gave me the same pointers, can you practice with me today please, when Qari Sahab comes. Qari Sahab is scary, I want you and Arfa to join me aajj(today)"

"Theek hai(Sure), but don't ruin my favorite Surah again okay, it hurts me to hear you pronounce it that way."

I know I'm being strict to a young nine year old girl, but Quran recitation is a very serious thing, slight mistakes might change the whole meaning.

(A/N same goes for the namaz people v shall do ourselves a great service if we revise the whole namaz once in a week or so. Especially those of us who do not have Arabic as their first language, like myself.)

She nodded her yes and we made our way towards Arfa's school, it was on a walking distance and it was more of a childcare than a school.

~Flashback over~

~Hadiyah~

This isn't real, this isn't happening, it's all a nightmare that I will soon wakeup from. Calm down Hadiyah-calm down, moma will soon wake you up. I closed my eyes shut, yet again. I opened them again, sure it doesn't feel like a dream or a nightmare but it still is one, sure I feel hundred percent awake, but I'm just dreaming, right?

"No Hadiyah baji you aren't dreaming."

I heard my Arfa speak in a small voice. Her eyes were red from crying a lot. I squeezed her hand.

" Hush my baby hush, I'm not weak but if you're going to cry like that it will certainly help kill my resolve."

"I'm sorry!!"

"It's cool Jan, let's go and show them what we're made of!"

"Yeah"

We equipped ourselves with our 'weapons' and made our way towards the 'battlefield'. For the day the weapon I had chosen was a niqab. Nobody would object to my wearing one and it certainly helped hide me from my abhorrent husband-to-be.

Sure I didn't know if he was as abhorrent as I imagined him to be, I'm not one to label people without meeting them, but given the circumstances it is quite understandable I think.

I know I'm just using the niqab to my convenience but given that lots of non-family males are going to be there, I think it will do. I looked up as soon as we crossed the entrance-it was Bakhtawar khalu. He glared at me, while he patted Arfa on her head.

The favoritism didn't effect me, I have enough people who love me Alhamdulillah. I felt Arfa tense up beside me she dislikes everyone who isn't as she wants them to be towards me. I rubbed her back, an action which helps sooth her best.

We were guided into a land cruiser, I looked at the number plate. This is the car that belonged to dad and has been left to me. I see they won't have me sitting in any of their cars, how childish. I don't have control over my things, but starting this year things will change.

The lawyer informed me that they can no longer rule over my inheritance unless I am to provide a written permission, signed and stamped in the presence of three witnesses of my own choice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~TO BE CONTINUED ~