Chapter Five: Parking Lot

Saturday Night

Tessa's POV

I lean against the car in the parking garage of the Chin Tiki while Hanna socializes, trying to keep to myself and out of the conversation. The sound of 'Insane In the Brain' echoes through the lot as cars are still coming in to park, more people showing up to hangout. We don't usually do this- Hanna, Gabi and I. But since Wink said he knows someone, who knows someone, who knows someone else that has a number to a fashion photographer, Hanna needs to be here so he can introduce her to these contacts.

I am here more on my own selfish reasons though, in hopes of seeing a certain someone who has yet to make an appearance. A stupid plan, really.

I know how ridiculous I'm being. I spent hours getting ready tonight. Straightening my hair, putting on a little extra makeup. Switching outfits till I finally dressed in a mini skirt Hanna lent me and a cute top with some knee high boots, knowing the whole time I was dressing for him. Making plans in the chance of seeing him because he looked at me for more than a second from across a room. It's pathetic, I know. But plenty of guys have looked at me before. None of them memorable. Not like him. I think about those eyes a least a dozen times a day and I just want to meet the man they belong to. That's gotta mean something.

"Oh my god, there's Malik." Gabi says turning towards me, surprised. 

"Yup. There he is. Who would have thought we'd run into him at his place of work?" I tease.

"He wasn't suppose to work tonight!" She tells me in disbelief, then her face drops, "He must be here to find another girl."

"I thought you two were together again?" I can't keep up with these two.

"Not since this afternoon." she sighs.

I chuckle, "Okay...well do you want to get back together?"

"Duh!" 

"Then go talk to him! Nothing will happen while the two of you are just making eyes at each other across the garage."

Gabi doesn't need anymore encouragement. She nods her head and goes over to him.

Funny the advice I give out is the exact advice I need to give myself. I'm still kicking myself over it.

But in a matter of seconds, the young couple are arguing. Gabi has her hands on her hips, while Malik throws his own in the air as he talks. I look away, giving the two a little privacy to fight in this public setting. I bring my attention to the group a short distance away, that have formed a rap circle. They've been taking turns free-styling for a while now.

"...back to Lansing
I use my voice to spit the fiery frame
Try and refrain, dying in vain...."

I can't help but to look back over at Gabi, not surprised at all to see her making out with Malik now. I shake my head, chuckling to myself. Maybe they will last a while longer. Checking on Hanna, I see her exchange numbers with the man who I assume is her photographer hookup. At least she got what she needed, I think, as I make the unfortunate mistake of making eye contact with Wink. He's been walking around handing out flyers to the Hip Hop Shop, encouraging everyone to go to some show he's promoting. Zeroed in, he walks toward me with one in his hand.

I push myself off the car and walk towards the rap circle, hoping to avoid him. Wink must take the hint, because he doesn't follow. I know I'm being a bitch but...He's been tagging along everywhere these past few days. Whether it's lunch with the girls at the diner or at Hanna's place after work talking about the newest scheme he's involved in, I can't escape him. He is helping Hanna with her modeling, I understand. But it's a little excessive in my opinion. He's always making eyes at me, flirting with Gabi and being touchy with Hanna, even though none of us are interested. Our own history aside, his recent behavior makes it so I don't want to talk to him alone even more.