Chapter Eleven: The Lunch Truck

~Tuesday~

Tessa's POV

The daycare is closed. Some kind of problem with the furnace again. As great as Sunny Day is- the owners, the teachers and the kids are all amazing- we still face some difficulties with the old building. And with no heat, we can't legally allow children in the building with such low temperatures- nor would we want to of course. They'd practically freeze. 

Most of the kids are just back home with their parents for the day, but a couple of the senior teachers are taking some into their homes too to help out those who need it. Hopefully they can get the problem fixed soon. But in the meantime, I was given the day off.

I'm never home during this time of day during the week. I barely know what to do with myself. Which is why I'm running unnecessary errands right now like picking up stamps that I don't need. And the post office happening to be across the street from New Detroit Stamping, is only a plus.

I haven't seen or heard from Jimmy since he left my place the other night. I'm trying not to feel hurt about it but it's kind of hard not to. I thought we had an amazing time and he asked me out, but still nothing. 

To be fair, it's only been a little over two days- not long enough to cause worry. Maybe he's been busy. And he doesn't even have my phone number, so he couldn't call me even if he wanted to. 

But that's what worries me...does he even want to call me? See me again?

Jimmy is the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing at night and all throughout the day too honestly. So maybe if I just so happen to be in the area just as he is working and we just so happen to run into each other...it'll all work out.

I walk pass the plant, conveniently during their lunch time rush. Everyone is either lining up around a food truck or smoking during their break. Right away I notice someone is rapping too, surrounded by all the workers. It's such a similar scene to the other night at the parking garage, that I just know Jimmy has to be near. And sure enough I spot him in the crowd, a drink he must have just bought in hand and watching the scene in front of him intently as the man continues to rap:

"Stop rhymin' keep your day job Vanessa.
Next time leave that bull shit home on the dresser.
Speaking of dresses, take a look at Paul the fruitcake!
When you travel you probably pack panties in your suitcase.
Made out of lace from Victoria's secret.
If ten men came in a cup you'd probably drink it"

The crowd groans and laughs. And Jimmy, with this look on his face that I just know means he's about to spit some dope rhymes, approaches them and starts doing just that:

"Okay folks enough with the gay jokes
Especially from a gay broke bitch yourself, eh, loc
His styles doo doo
You've worked here longer then me
And I get paid more then you do.
Dawg, take a seat.
What's this guy standin' in line for? He ain't got money to eat!"

Everybody laughs and I just smile as his confidence grows and he continues:

"Check this out, yo-yo.
This guy cashed his whole check and bought one ho ho.
Fuckin' homo, little maggot.
You can't hack it.
Paul's gay... You're a faggot.
At least he admits it. Don't even risk it.
This guys starvin' to death, someone get him a biscuit!
I don't know what they told you Mike...
You must had them cornrows rolled too tight.
This job, you wanna quit but you can't.
You've worked at this plant so long...You're a plant.
Look at your god damn boots
For christ sakes they're starting to grow roots!
On this mic you get faded.
You look like a pissed off rapper who never made it.
Hey, why you fuckin' with gay guy G?
When really you're the one whos got the H.I.V.
Man I'm done with this clown, its off.
Fuck it. I'll let home girl finish you off."