Chapter 5 - Lights

"Here we are." You unlocked the car doors, allowing Mr. Jin to get out of the car after you parked. He stepped out and view the building if the convention center. It was about the size of a mall's food court. You stepped out of the car as well with your phone with you. The two of you went inside as you checked the time.

"Great. Ten minutes late. We would've been here sooner if you didn't need to stop at the gas station." You told him, "who takes that long just to go to the bathroom?"

"Whatever. It's not like I don't have a bladder like everyone else. And besides, it wasn't even that pleasant!" Jin exclaims, "it stunk and was a mess! I almost fainted..."

"It's a bathroom. A gas station bathroom." You reminded him, "you can expect that high of a gas station where everything looks like it's been tossed around." You rolled your eyes, walking to the entrance of the convention center.  You opened door, only to see a grand decorated room. A stage that began at the other end of the center and ended in the middle where contestants stop and pose only to walk on the path again.

Balloons, streamers, and confetti decorated the room with the color theme of red, white, and black. You tried to look over people's shoulders, trying to get a good view of the stage even though the stage was about three feet from the ground.

Everyone was enjoying the pageant as the contestants were modeling down the runway.

"Now where is my mother." You throught to yourself, looking over the people before you hear a lady calling your name from the far right of you.

"Over here." You led Jin the way before he could get lost in the crowd, not paying attention to anything other than the contestants. You waved your hand in the air just for her to see you. It's quite obvious that she had a tough and restless days.

"You looked awful." You commented, "you know you can only blame yourself for this." She turned around to see your face and lit back up as if nothing happened.

"You're actually here! Oh thank goodness. You just missed Jungkook walking the runway." She cheered, hugging you, "but don't worry, he'll come back for the talent round." She was about to open her mouth to say something else before she noticed Jin's appearance. His white shirt and black jacket and pants were very best that everyone in the room took notice.

Judging by his professional appearance while everyone was wearing casual, except for the models, he really stood out. You guess that some people recognized him and was stunned.

"And who is that gentleman?! Don't tell me that's your new boyfriend after  Yoongi?" Your mom mistakened, "why I--"

"No! This is just my Uber customer who happens to be a "professional." You rolled your eyes, "I was telling him about Jungkook so he wanted to come and see him perform."

"Kim Seokjin." He shook her hand, introducing himself. Your mother couldn't take her eyes off of him and his face. Jin looked to you for help, which you wouldn't blame him.

"So where is Jungkook?" You asked her, making her snap out of it and switched her attention back to you.

"He's getting ready for his talent performance. He's number twelve out of the twenty five contestants." Your mother noted. You searched for the current model's number, which was twenty two. This is gonna be a long day,  waiting for your brother to show up and get gone again with his fellow contenders.

"Talent? What is he gonna do?" You asked her.

"He's going to sing! Can you believe it? Even if he doesn't win, he might have a record deal!" Your mother cheered. You rolled your eyes, doubting that there's even a music producer here at a young men's pageant. You still couldn't shake off some of the people's eyes off you and Seokjin.

Made you feel a little uneasy, having unwanted attention.

"Say, wanna explain why you have almost everyone's attention here?" You muttered to Seokjin, "it's weird."

"I'm used to it, after all I do have this handsome face." He gushed over himself, "and besides, it's unusual to see someone of the National Championship at a Semi-State championship. Some people probably even know me." Well that's true.

The last model made his way to the walk and the host now announces the beginning of the talent round. Oh great. Now that Jungkook is in the middle, you're pretty much stuck until it's over. If he was last, then you would just walk in and walk out when he's about to go on stage.

"And he has to repeat this every championship?" You guessed.

"Not for the National. Nationals have a lot more hoops to jump through." Seokjin noted, "but if he wins the semi, depending on his score, he might even skip the State and head on to whatever is before Nationals."

"Seriously?!" You reacted.

"You know nothing about these pageants. No wonder you work at small places. You should get out more." He comments, pushing his bang back, "and to think that you know because your brother is in the competition."

"Hey, I told you that I don't talk to him often. And besides, it's not like it was my idea to put him into things like this. I suggest sports or maybe college." You explained to him, "what made you go into the competition anyway? It just seems more of a pain than toddlers and tiaras."

"Not entirely. Sometimes even adults whine like children at times." Seokjin commented, leaving out his reason on joining not that it really matters to you. The both of you stood and waited until Jungkook finally came up on stage for his talent of singing.

He sat down on a bar stool with the mic, looking calm but nervous inside until he spotted you in the crowd. He started to sing a slow song, "we don't talk anymore." They only gave him one minute and thirty minutes, but he did pretty well.

"He sounds good!" Jin dropped his jaw, looking to you, "you didn't tell me he can sing like that!"

"The last time I heard him sing was at his talent show when he started high school." You shrugged your shoulders, "nice to know that he improved." You weren't surprised. If Jungkook wanted to do something, he would keep doing it until his heart's content. He always loved the attention that he'd work hard for it.

You didn't notice, but Seokjin was still looking at you before turning away.

Time skip~

"And the winner of the Semi-State champion is...... " The host announces loud and cleary as soon as all of the contestants stood in a line side by side when they were called up to the stage again.

Jungkook was hanging his head low, holding a guy's hand in each one. Both your mother and father held onto each other, biting their tongue lightly in excitement.

"Please let him win..... " You thought.