Awaken

-Lex

What is that nerve-grating beeping? Seriously, someone make it stop. Right now. Did I leave my alarm on again? I thought it was Saturday, why can't I sleep in? I wanted to reach out and slam my fist down on the snooze button, but my arms felt heavier than lead. I tried to sit up, but I couldn't do that either. What the crap is going on? My heart began to beat faster as panic set in. What if . . . What if he found me? What if he took me again? My eyes snapped open in alarm, the beeping sound grew even louder and faster. Beeping away like it had a point to prove.

White.

Everything was white.

The walls, the ceiling, the floor, everything. He did it. He finally did it. The monster had threatened before that'd he'd throw me into an asylum. He had it all figured out, say I was crazy, hurting myself and claiming he'd done it. He must have finally pulled it off. The beeping grew louder still as my heartbeat skyrocketed and my throat began to close. My breathing became labored and my body began to sweat. He'd done it. He had me committed to an insane asylum.

Alarms started going off, screeching, beeping and letting out loud cries. My chest constricted, my heartbeat slowed, and my breath all but halted entirely in my throat. I was aware of the door bursting open, someone appeared dressed in blue, a white lab coat swirled about them as they raced to my side. Shouts were heard, but I couldn't understand them, it was too late. The dreaded blackness was closing in again.

I fought it, I fought it hard. The dark was scary. Nothing good ever happened in the dark, however, my attempts to ward off its grip on me were futile. The darkness wrapped its long, cold fingers around me and mercilessly dragged me down. Too weak to try and keep it at bay any longer, I allowed my heavy eyelids to slowly slip closed.

*************************************

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Seriously, I am going to smash that freaking alarm clock with my hair brush! All I want is to sleep for five more minuets! Come on!

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

There was a slight pressure on my left hand, gentle, yet firm. The surface I was laying on jolted softly as if someone sat down by my feet. My eyes flew open for a second time, remembering the situation.

I won't stay here. I'm not crazy!

The white room glared at me dangerously, however this time it wasn't empty. No, it was filled with people. My people. My head turned slowly as I took them all in, gathered around my bed. Mom, Martin, Robbie, Lance, Ashton, The Twins, and then my eyes landed on him, sitting there in all his fabulous glory. Suddenly the beeping slowed, my heart returned to normal, or close to it anyway. I was safe. There's no way Ryker would allow me to be here if it wasn't safe for me. My body relaxed into the stiff mattress.

Ryker.

I'm here sweetheart. His deep, velvety voice echoed through my mind.

You're in my head, again.

Yes, I am, sweetie. You have no freaking idea how good it is to hear you say that!

Ryker, where am I? What happened? I gazed at him foggily. My mind couldn't make sense of what was happening, where was I if I wasn't in an asylum? Why's everyone here? Why does my body ache so badly? And for the love of all that is holy, WHAT IS THAT BEEPING?

My eyebrows scrunched up as I looked at the people around me. My mom clutched Martins right hand, her cheeks glistening with recently shed tears. Martin gently gripped my mother's hand, looking at me in concern. His free hand wrapped around the handle of a yellow carseat, no doubt housing my infantile sister, Maria. The boys all stood around awkwardly, shoulders hunched slightly as the slouched, hands shoved deep into their pockets. Robbie sat at the foot of my bed, nearly on my foot. His mouth was moving quickly, like he was rambling about something and someone clicked the mute button. Looking back to Ryker, I watched his mouth move as well, but still heard nothing. I shouldn't say nothing, I guess, there was an odd mumbling-grumbling-blurred type of something. It was as if I had cotton in my ears, everything was muffled, everything except that bloody beeping. The disappointment that showed on his perfect face, nearly broke my heart.