18 For the First Time

Skylar's POV_

"We're here." Ace chuckles while sitting in the driver's seat. I could feel his eyes stare at me. "You know, you really don't have to cover your eyes. If we're going to do this dating thing, one thing you should know is that I'm not a romantic." I could hear his amusement. And I could feel how nervous he was. I can feel it in the tips of my fingers that were pressed up against my eyebrows. I could feel it in my heart that throbbed just by being next to him. 

"I just wanna make things more interesting." I muse, dropping my hands from my eyes and letting them fall into my lap. My eyes run over every aspect of his face as he was transfixed on the restaurant in front of this. That was when his eyes met mine. 

"Hm, so I'm not interesting?" A little smirk hangs on his face and I lightly shake my head and go along with the joke. 

"No. But if Channing Tatum or Robert Pattinson was here..." I peer out of the window, knowing that if I had dare look him in the eyes, I wouldn't be able to go along with it. But Ace's long silence is what cracked me. I look over at Ace and he had a grin on his face meanwhile my expression was pulled into a regretful mix. "I'm sorry, was that rude of me?" 

"Not at all. I just knew me being quiet would make you look at me again." We look at each other for a bit, making up for lost time perhaps? Or maybe we were just looking for something. "We should really get inside." Ace quietly whispers, still looking at me. Then all of a sudden, he jerks so his back is now pressed up against the back of his seat and loudly exclaims, "I'm starving."

I laugh and shake my head. What a romantic. Just as I am about to open the passenger door, Ace makes a strangled noise. I stop and look over at him with a questioning gaze. 

"That's my job." He says with a small smile, opening his own door and closing it after him. I see him round the front of the car and he comes over to my side. Opening my door, it's like a butler had possessed him because he gives me a little bow and imitates the voice of an old man. "Ma'am.." Whilst in a bow, he picks up his head and gazes at me. "It should be illegal to be this stunning."  

I laugh and walk past him. "And something you should know about me..." I look at him from over my shoulder. "I'm gonna make you work to get me."

Ace slowly stands and he walks over to me with a little smile. "I'd expect no less." He gently grabs a hold of my hand and brings our hands over my head as he gives me a little spin. As I face him once again, he still holds my hand but this time, he holds both of them. "Love, for you, I'd do anything." Pulling me against him, he wraps his arms around me. "What are you doing to me..." He mutters so low that I just barely caught it. 

"Easy." I pull away at arms length. "Driving you crazy." 

"You have no idea." Bellowing a laugh, he looks down at the ground. Then slowly trailing them up until they met my eyes. My heart flutters as he reaches out and pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. I can feel my face heating up and he chuckles with a shrug. "It's in all the romantic movies. So I wanted to give it a shot." He leans in real close to my ear and whispers, "Did it work?" I went so quiet that he pulls away and gives me a worried facial expression. 

"You better be careful with what you're doing. I'm gonna fall." I laugh, latching onto his hand and pulling him through the door of the restaurant. "Enough sap, I'm really hungry."

"Wise decision." Ace picks up his pace and starts walking right on the side of me. We near a register and a young lady about my age comes over to us with a tilt of her head.

"Table of two?" We give her a nod and she looks around before reaching our eyes. "Booth?" I say a little yes. "Alright. Just follow me." The waitress takes a U-turn and stops for a second to grab some menus as we follow right behind her. 

We walk some ways through the area until we reach the back corner of the restaurant where it was dimmer than everywhere else. I look over at Ace for a second to see him with a grin hung on his face. No one else was really close to us. There was a jolly old couple a few tables away just chirping back and forth. This was definitely a cozy lodge for sure. Not one spot in this place felt cold. The lighting was very slightly dimmed all throughout the dining area, but that only enhanced the atmosphere. 

"Here we go, I'll leave you guys here and your server will be right with you." The lady sets down the menus on the table and silverware was already wrapped in a cocoon by a napkin which was held by a ring of red paper. 

Ace and I sit across from each other as she leaves and I just smiled. 

"How long were you waiting to bring me here?" I joke with my chin rested on my palm.

"What feels like forever." He gives a little shrug as he flips open his menu. "Anyhow, at the moment we're on neutral land. So relax, nothing will happen." He looks up at me with a reassuring smile. "I promise." 

It wasn't until then that I realized my entire body was tense. Ace observes me while I take a deep breath in and let it out long and slow. Some pressure from my shoulders release and I yawn right after. 

"So what are you getting?" I ask him as I open up a binder of my own. I had already planned on getting water so there was no need to not look for food first. 

"I would go for a hamburger, but a big plate of spaghetti would be way more romantic." Ace continues to look down at the options but he looked bored in that second. 

"Was 'Lady and the Tramp' one of those romance movies you mentioned earlier?" I don't know why, but teasing him just felt so comforting and there was not a single part of me that didn't enjoy it. 

"Perhaps. The Disney romance movies are way less complex." I burst out in giggles and the old couple not that far away looks over at us with a knowing look in their eyes. 'Young love', I could already hear them saying. "So what about you?" His silver eyes shoot up to mine and I can feel the heat rising up to every part of my body. 

"Chicken Alfredo, probably." With a bite of my lip, I continue to look at the rest. Testing whatever sounded good in the moment. 

Just then, what I presume to be our server, came up to our table. Her eyes lingered on Ace a bit longer than I would have liked.

"So, what would you guys like?" She looks at Ace even longer and I feel an itch in my fingertips. A bite of her lip is what made me so furious, I could just......

------

Before this glorious school year ends, I'll try my best to come out with a new chapter. With practices left and right, it has been pretty difficult. All that's left is finals! Best of luck to you guys. 

<3