Mine Now

The doctor looked at her and noticed the orange suit she wore, signaling she was D class.

"I can assume they have given you to me to receive surgery, but...one moment."

He paused and then walked over to one of the cabinets. Shadow was barely supporting her legs as she shook and cried. She was so scared and so tired, she just wanted this to be quick.

"P-please, if you're going to kill me then just do it. Please don't prolong it, I can't handle what this."

The doctor paused, then turned back to Shadow and walked over. Shadow couldn't handle it anymore and collapsed to her knees, falling back to sit in a W. the Doctor walked over to her and kneeled down in front of her.

"You do not hold the pestilence in you so I have no need to use my gift. But,"

He took her face in his hands and turned her to look at him, wiping her tears away with his leather glove.

"You seem to be suffering with something else, I sense something within you. I know not what it is but it does not seem bad."

Shadow involuntarily leaned into the touch, she had been starved of physical contact for years now.

"I am the plague doctor, but the men here refer to me as 049. What is your name young one, not your number, but name please."

Shadow felt a strange sense of calm as the man held her cheek, her tears still falling full force.

"I-I'm Shadow."

He let out a hum of acknowledgment and began to run his other hand through her hair.

"Well Shadow, I must tell you. My cure is administered threw touch from my hand, but with these gloves you are safe. So allow me to ease your mind, you are too young to be wishing for death."

Shadow was shaking, for the first time in years she felt ok, she felt cared for, like she was something that mattered. Without thought, she dove into the man's chest and wrapped her arms around his neck. Her head pressed into the crook of his neck as her tears were renewed.

"Thank you! Thank you! I haven't felt love or care in so long. Thank you, sir, thank you!"

Her tears were rushing hard and her breath was hiccuping and hitching. 049 was frozen for a moment but soon wrapped his arms around her incredibly slim waist. He held her for some time, rocking back and forth while rubbing his hand up and down her back. 

Soon her tears died down and she was taking slow wheezing breaths. She was in his lap now curled up against his chest, his arms wrapped around her entire thin frame. She had no idea how long she had been in here with him and she honestly didn't care.

"Shadow, you seem very tired. Would you like to rest in my bed for a bit."

Shadow nodded, feeling the full hit of her exhaustion. Gently he picked her up and walked over to the bed against the wall. He lay her down and pulled the blanket over her, undoing two buttons on her shirt to help her breath. 

Shadow had not felt a bed so soft and warm in so long, she curled up and hummed in joy. She heard the man chuckle, he couldn't help it, she was just so cute. It didn't take long for Shadow to drift off, especially when 049 began to hum a soft tune.