Chapter 4

I couldn't move, something was pressing me down. I tried to yell for help but my voice wouldn't work. It was dark and I couldn't feel anything. Then suddenly I heard an explosion and flames immediately appeared. They began to crawl closer and I tried to scream. Help me, please help me. I could feel the heat from the flames and then suddenly...

My eyes opened and my mouth was opened from a silent scream. Another nightmare, it was just another nightmare I told myself trying to calm my pounding heart.

I could still see and feel the flames lick against my skin. My eyes burned from the tears streaming down my cheeks.

I look out the window and saw it was still dark. I look at my beaten up clock and see that it was 5:30 a.m.

I guess I can go out for a walk in the woods. I get up wincing a little from the pain. I quickly get dressed and quietly open my window and climbed out.

I used the ladder again and entered the woods. It was dark but I seemed calmed by it. I welcomed the darkness to my vision. I just needed comfort and the breeze from the woods did just that.

I was walking along the forest until I saw something light up form a building.

Curious, I followed the light wondering where it came from.

I finally arrived in front of a building that looked like diner.

I tilted my head in confusion. Why were they open so early in the morning? I quickly looked at the big sign on the top of the diner. It read "Bob's Diner".

Hmmm...Interesting.

I cautiously exited the woods to stand in front of the diner.

On the door, there was a sign saying that they opened early today because of a special event going on.

When I moved to turn back, the door suddenly opened. I jumped up in fright and quickly turned around.

I saw a joyful man that was in his 50s and his eyes were kind. He seemed to not notice me at first but when he saw me jump, he quickly looked down at me.

His eyes were curious and interested at the same time.

"Hello little bird, can I help you?" he said with a kind voice.

"N-no, I was just here to check it out."

HIs eyes roamed through my body but not in a perverted way. He looked at my petite and overly skinny body. When I opened my mouth to excuse myself, my stomach grumble.

I blushed from the embarrassment as I heard him chuckle.

"Come on little birdie, you want something to eat?" the man kindly asked me.

"S-sorry, I don't have any money on me." I said looking down in shame.

"It's okay, you seem new here so it is my treat."

My eyes immediately snapped to his face and saw that he was serious. He was serious about feeding a small and skinny girl like me.

I felt my eyes from the tears that were about to fall. He was so kind and he didn't even know me. I refused to let the tears fall though. I wasn't about to bawl in front pf a stranger that was willing to help me.

"Thank you, Mr..." I said in a small questioning voice.

"Oh my, where are my manners? Just call me uncle! Everybody does." he said with a joyful smile.

I couldn't help but smile back at the man that seemed to remind me of Santa Clause.

'Come on in and sit anywhere." he said while walking back into the diner.