Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I've been working full time at a local detox center for over a year now. One of the things I do is help people through withdrawls. Working six days a week it tiring but I love my job. But little did I know that what I did for a living would truly change my life and all it would take was one visit from my uncle. I just got home from my six day work week. After getting a shower and sitting down with something to eat, I hear a knock on my door. Looking through the peephole, I see my Uncle Lee standing there. I open the door and let him in and as soon as he walks in, I pull him into a hug. "Hey baby girl. How ya been?" he asked. "Good Uncle Lee. What are you doing here?" I asked because he normally doesn't show up without calling first. "Let's sit down. I need to talk to you." he says. Thinking something's wrong, I sit down and wait for him to speak. "I need your help or rather the club does." he says. "Okay. What do you need?" I asked. "What's your schedule looking like.?" he asked. "I have vacation time they I have to take or I lose it. I'm off the next two weeks." I tell him. "Good. One of my guys, he's, we found out he's using and he needs to get clean." he tells me. "Oh. Anyone I know?" I asked. "No. He's only been in a year. Name's Kozik." he tells me. "Okay. Where is he now?" I asked. "He's at the clubhouse. Why?" he asked. "Okay, what's he using?" I asked. "Crank." he tells me. "These next couple of weeks are gonna be hell for him so he needs to be somewhere secluded. Do you remember where Dad's old hunting cabin is?" I asked. "Yeah. I remember." he tells me. I get up and get him the key. "Get him there. I have to get some things together, clothes, supplies for his detox, and I will meet you there. I need at least one person there with me to help me." I tell him. "I'll leave Happy there with you." he tells me. "Good. Let me get my things and I'll meet you at the cabin." I tell him. "Thanks for this baby girl." he says. I just kiss his cheek and start getting what I need together.

Pulling up at the cabin, I see a van and a bike. Walking in, we see Happy there waiting on us. Looking at Lee, I asked "Where's Kozik?" He leads me to the spare bedroom, leaving me the master. Walking in, I see him lying on the bed and he's already sweating. "Okay. First, he needs to be stripped down to his boxers. He's going to be in this cold sweat for a while. Keeping a blanket on him is fine to keep him warm but we need to keep an eye out on the blankets. Once they get wet from his sweat, we need to change them out. There's more blankets and sheets in the linen closet and a laundry room to wash when we need." I tell them and they get him up and start getting him undressed. Once he's undressed, I get out a syringe and get meds ready. "What's that?" Lee asked. "It's a mild sedative. It will help keep him slightly sedated where we can give him meds when needed but will help him rest through the detox." I tell them. They hold him while I give him the shot and he almost immediately relaxes. I take his vitals and write them down. "Happy, can you get the trashcan out of the bathroom please? He's going to be needing it soon." I ask him and he does as I ask. I get closer to Kozik. "Kozik? Can you hear me?" I asked. He nods his head yes. "I'm Randi. Lee's niece. I'm here to help you get better okay. I promise I'm gonna get you through this." I say and he nods. He takes my hand and mumbles "Thanks." I just nod and go back to what I need to do. "His vitals need to be checked every hour. Someone needs to be on watch at all times because when he starts getting sick, that will trigger the convulsions. He will be okay but they will seem worse than they are. When they start, I'll need you to help me hold him still so he doesn't hurt himself." I tell Happy. He just nods.

Walking out to the living room with Lee, while Happy watched over Kozik, Lee asked "You think he will be okay?" I sit down on the couch and Lee follows suit. "I deal with this every day and just him being coherent enough to answer me what little he did? That's a good sign. We just have to be patient. Look, I'm licensed to treat outside of the clinic but this I am doing for the club. If I need any other supplies, I can call my assistant and have her get the things together to be picked up but I need to know that no one other than you and Happy will be here. The fewer people around to see him like this the better for him. He needs to know that when he goes back, he can with his dignity still intact." I tell him. "Of course. Just tell us what you need and we will make it happen." he says.

I walk back into the bedroom with Lee following. Happy is sitting in a chair near the bed and looks over to me as we walk in. "He's sleeping." he tells me. "Good. He'll need his rest. I just want to warn you, these next few days, until the crank is out of his system are going to be the hardest. If he doesn't start getting sick here in the next few hours, I'll give him something to induce the vomiting. That way it will get out of his system faster." I tell Happy and Lee. "I'm gonna head back to the clubhouse. Hap, she'll let you know what she needs from you. Call me if you need anything." he says. "I will. Hap, I'm gonna call my assistant and tell her to be on call." I say and he nods.

I walk Lee to the door and step out onto the porch. Hugging him goodbye, after he rides off, I pull out my phone. "Hey Jess. I need a favor. I'm doing a private treatment and I might need to have some of my supplies replenished for me. Can you be on call if I do? It won't be me coming to get the items though, it will be most likely my uncle." I tell her. "Sure. Just send him with the safe word and I'll make sure he has what he needs." she tells me. "Thanks. I might have all I need but just wanted to give you a heads up just incase." I tell her. "You need me?" she asked. "No. I can handle this but if I do, I'll let you know. Thanks Jess." I say. "No problem." she says before we end the call. Walking back inside, I go to Kozik's room and see he's still sweating. "Happy, can you get me a basin of warm water? The way he's sweating, wiping him down will help." I say. He nods and gets what I need. Sitting down on the edge of the bed, I take the wet cloth and start to wipe down his face. As I move the cloth to his neck, he opens his eyes and looks at me. I notice he has the most beautiful blue eyes. They seem so troubled though. "Just rest. I got you." I tell him softly. Once done, Happy takes the basin and pours out the water and hangs the cloth up to dry. Once he's done, he takes his seat in the chair next to the bed. I sit there, just watching him. "You should get some sleep Doc. I'll wake you up in an hour." he says. I nod and say "If he wakes up before then, come get me." He nods and I walk to the master to get a little sleep.