Ⅴ. ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

36 HOURS EARLIER

"You might wanna floor it, Reigns. I wasn't exactly a polite guest."

Roman shook his head and mumbled under his breath. "The fact that we're all still alive amazes me."

Brendon was about to respond with a snarky remark, but the ringing of his cell cut him off. Checking the caller ID, he breathed out tiredly before answering.

"I know I'm miraculous, sir, but another mission already?"

"Brendon, this isn't about a mission."

The Director's voice had an underlying tone of worry to it, and that coupled with – once again – the use of his first name, brought Brendon to full attentiveness.

"What's wrong?" he asked firmly.

The response brought Brendon's entire world to a standstill.

"Thor's brother dropped by the facility, and it wasn't a friendly visit. The entire place is under."

"(Y/N)?" Brendon asked immediately, feeling his heart rate pick up.

"Wasn't on campus when the attack happened. She's safe. For now, at least."

"What do you mean?" the agent frowned, pressing the cell closer to his ear as if that would allow the information to reach him faster.

"He took the Tesseract. And I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before he's back for its human counterpart."

Brendon's jaw clenched.

"I'm on my way."