ᎄʜᎀ᎘᎛ᎇʀ ᮏɮᮇ: s᎜ʀʀᎇɎᎅᎇʀ

✧ ✧ ✧

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: sᴜʀʀᴇɴᴅᴇʀ

ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɪᴛ ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʜʏᴘᴇ.

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

NOW

Agent Coulson and Steve Rogers stood side by side in the bridge of the helicarrier, looking down over the railing at Agent Weekes and a few others as they worked to locate Loki using satellite facial recognition.

"I mean, if it's not too much trouble," Coulson said, briefly glancing at the captain.

"No, no. It's fine," Steve insisted.

"It's a vintage set," Coulson smiled proudly, "It took me a couple of years to collect them all. Near mint, slight foxing around the edges but..."

The Director entered, you and Brendon trailing behind him, and the soldier greeted you.

"Hey, Steve," you gave a soft smile, reaching out to rub his shoulder as you strolled past him towards the table and chairs.

Brendon observed your actions, jaw tightening as he watched your actions; the gesture screamed 'familiarity', and his mind trembled as he considered that Aaron Ross might not be his only adversary anymore.

He chanced a look at you, only to notice that you had already been looking at him. You wore a slight smirk on your lips as you leaned back in your seat and folded your arms. You knew very well what your actions would do to your bodyguard, and you relished in the fact that his mind was probably going insane right about now.

There was nothing other than platonic affection between you and Steve, obviously, but Brendon didn't know that, and as petty as it may seem, playing up your relationship with the super-solider was a great way to get some payback on your bodyguard.

After all, it was either pettiness or sheer aggression.

Brendon continued staring at you with an unreadable expression, until Steve snapped him out of it, brining him back to reality by extending a hand for him to shake.

"Agent Urie," he nodded politely, "It's a pleasure to meet you. I've heard great things."

Locking his icy gaze onto the captain, Brendon gripped his hand in a firm shake. "Likewise, Captain. You're kind of a legend around here," he kept quiet for a beat before delivering his final, snarky sentence, "Can't wait to see if you live up to the hype."

Steve raised his head slightly, maintaining a gracious expression despite the agent's abrasiveness. Everything about Brendon screamed "alpha-male", and the captain wasn't about to get into a territorial war. That wasn't what he was there for.