ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ: ᴄʜᴀɪɴ ᴏғ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛs

✧ ✧ ✧

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ: ᴄʜᴀɪɴ ғ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛs

ᴡᴇ'ʀᴇ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ-ʙᴏᴍʙ.

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

Detention section. S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier.

Loki paced back and forth inside his glass cell. Suddenly, he stopped.

"There's not many people that can sneak up on me," he remarked before turning around and seeing Natasha standing on the other side of the glass.

"But you figured I'd come."

"After," Loki amended with a slight raise of his brows, "After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm." He stepped forward. "And I would cooperate."

Cutting right to the chase, Natasha responded. "I wanna know what you've done with Agent Barton."

"I'd say I've expanded his mind."

The Black Widow swallowed. "And once you've won – once you're king of the mountain... what happens to his mind?"

The God of Mischief squinted and smirked tauntingly. "Is this love, Agent Romanoff?"

"Love is for children," she spat, folding her arms over her chest assertively, "I owe him a debt."

Loki moved to take a seat on his bench. "Tell me," he encouraged.

Exhaling softly, Natasha pulled up a chair from nearby and sat down, beginning to explain. "Before I worked for S.H.I.E.LD, I, uh... well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on S.H.I.E.L.D's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me," she titled her head to the left, "he made a different call."

Thrilled by her words, Loki enticed. "And what will you do if I vow to spare him?"

Natasha scoffed, knowing full well what the menace was alluding to. "Not let you out," she shut him down.

Loki laughed, leaning forward. "Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man?"

The agent raised one brow and rested her palms on her knees. "Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that; I'm Russian... or was."

"What is it you want?"

"It's not really that complicated," she shrugged lightly, "I've got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."

"Can you?" Loki snapped, his entire demeanour shifting, "Can you wipe out that much red? Drakov's daughter? São Paulo? The hospital fire? Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping, it's gushing red, and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything?"