Chapter 3: Gentleman

Louis led Clementine to the bell tower. "Come on up." She looked up at the large ladder. She was never really fond of heights but sucked it up. They began climbing. Once they reached the top there was a large platform. Students must have come up here a lot because there was a railing around the edge.

Clementine's mind still seemed to drift back to her comment that left everyone uncomfortable. This was harder than she thought. Making 'friends' that is. She never did smile much but she also didn't go around frowning all the time. Her face was much like a stone. Emotionless. At this very moment though her sadness seemed to be seeping through her persona. Louis noticed this "Hey don't beat yourself up. They just haven't met someone like you, ever."

That didn't help much. "This is harder than I thought it was going to be." Her voice was flat.

"What was? Coming to the school? It's really not that horrible when you get used to it. Now if there was some kind of life changing catastrophe, I have without a doubt in my mind that all the adults would leave, but as of right now it's alright." He tried to lighten her mood but ended up failing.

She was undeniably frustrated. 8 years of her life were spent training, learning, protecting, and killing. Yet it all led up to a boarding school. "I am only at this school to be reacquainted to civilian life. Back on the base I was treated as nothing more than a weapon. By most people at least. Acting like a real person is hard. Then when people ask questions I answer them. But their reactions make me feel as if what I said was wrong. Is part of being a person lying to make people like you?"

His face turned gentle. Somehow his smile comforted her with out contact or words. "Clementine you are one of the coolest people I've ever met. Hell you kept someone from beating my face in when you didn't even know me. Your past is so different then anyone else here. We all have problems but yours are just, different. They are new. People don't necessarily like new things that scare them." They both gazed at the forest that surrounded the hidden school. Something about this moment seemed blissful. Their topics were not those of light but yet them talking at all seemed to mend her sadness.

"I just, I can't let AJ down. He deserves more then being treated as a weapon. Even if that's all I am he doesn't see me like as that. He brought light in a battle filled with blood and death." Why did she feel so safe here? It was not like her to openly share her feelings. In fact she never shared her feelings.

Louis took a moment to look at Clementine. Not just a glance but to really see her. She had such mesmerizing eyes. They weren't some exotic colour of an ocean or forest but they were warm and kind, like honey. Her hair seemed as if she cut it herself. It was uneven and curly. She had plump cheeks. Almost like a baby. It suited her face. Then he looked a little closer. She had scars. A lot of them. Ranging from her eyebrows to her chin. Her hands had the marks as well. How much does she hide with her clothing? What battles did she fight to receive these everlasting marks.

"Who took care of you Clem?" He didn't want to seem rude but something inside his chest pounded to know more about this mysterious worrier.

A sad longing smile crept onto her lips. "His name was Lieutenant General Everett. But I called him Lee. He found me in the rubble of my destroyed home. My parents died in the bombings yet somehow I lived. He took me in. Taught me almost everything I know. That's when I began being used as a tool against the enemy. But he always seemed to care for me like a human." Her memories seemed so far away yet close enough to make her bleed. "Him and I were together, trying to recapture a city. We got stuck in an old coliseum. We got blown up. I managed to drag him down to one of the catacombs below but he was in very bad shape. Even then he was still teaching. He asked me to shoot him. To put him out of his misery. I knew he wasn't going to walk out. So I killed him. I loved him with everything I had but I knew letting him go was best."