Chapter 22: Snow Angels

Confusion mirrored in her eyes. He searched for some form of childhood memory. To no avail he gave up.

    Clementine dug deep in her memories. The term sounded very familiar but she couldn't pin point what it was. "Snow angel, snow angel, snow angel," she muttered. "Snow angel!"

    "Ya that's what I said." Louis mentioned hesitantly.

    Clementine shook her head. "No. I remember snow angels. My father, birth father that is, used to play with me outside. We would make them all the time. And men of snow" Her smile gleamed throughout the room. "I don't know why though. They made my clothes wet and my body cold." Her eye brows furrowed together.

    Louis began to laugh. The pure innocence that poured out of her at that moment was that of a child. She was quite peculiar to say the least. On the surface she was gruff and mature, someone who had to grow up too fast. But deep down the child was still there, even if she didn't come out very often. He shook off his thoughts as his mind came back to the situation. He could hear James snickering while Clementine glared. "Wanna go get AJ and make some memories?" He stood up offering his hand.

    She smiled placing her hand in his allowing him to help her to her feet. "I'd like that very much." Louis offered her crutches. She took one and placed the other on her bed. "If I am going to remember it, I am going to remember me walking there first."

Louis gave her his signature dorky smile. "After you," he gestured to the door. As she limped out he made sure to stay a good few paces behind her making sure she didn't fall back. James was walking in front of them.

"I'll go find AJ," he mentioned before parting from the two.

"Careful the stairs are icey," he warned. She took her time down the two steps. Louis on the other hand did not.

     Once he reached the  bottom his foot slid out from underneath him leaving him on the cold soggy ground. Clementine heard the thud. The quick motion was more then she was ready for. Her crutch refused to gain traction and she plummeted down to meet Louis. The two looked at each other's shocked looks. On cue they both let out the laughter they were suppressing.

    Once they caught their breath both took in the cold. Clementine closed her eyes and leaned back into the powder. A slight giggle escaped her. The childhood innocence that she missed out on was seeping through her persona.

He took his time admiring it, knowing he may never see it again. "Hey Clem?"

She opened her eyes. "I care about you a lot, you know that right?"

Her stomach twisted in a knot. She cared about him in a way that she's never felt. He made her excited to live but she knew with happiness comes sorrow. And this sorrow was one she never wanted to feel. Instead of letting her thoughts overwhelm her she gave him a smile. "I care about you as well Louis," Her body relaxed again and fell back into the snow. Very faint memories of her as a child flashed in her mind. Her birth father was always so kind to her.

    Looking around she noticed that James was no longer with them. How odd. A loud thud was heard coming front the main building. Justin came storming out with Erin not far behind. Louis hurried into his feet assisting Clementine as well.

    "Would you slow down!" Erin yelled. She was falling behind.

    Justin stopped in his tracks. So did Erin. Over his shoulder she saw Louis helping Clementine up. He had his arm around her waist making sure she stayed on her feet. Justin followed her gaze. "Jealous?" He raised an eyebrow. She didn't reply. She simply looked down. "I asked you a fucking question." He spat through his teeth.

    Erin looked up through her eyelashes. "And what if I was?"

    "I'd think you need a reality check. He chose a robot over you. Get over it." Louis and Clementine has picked up on the conversation. Clementine saw Erins blue eyes glaze over.

    She made her way over to the two. Louis dog tracking a few paces behind. "Screw off." She spat.

    He turned to face her, looking down in the process. "Shouldn't you be in a lab somewhere?"

    "Shouldn't you be in a psych ward somewhere?" She retorted. From the corner of her eye she saw Erin give a slight grin. "Move it or lose it. Unless you want a repeat of last time?" Clem raised an eyebrow referring to her first day at Ericson.

Justin scoffed. "Stupid bitch," he turned around to face Erin. She had been staring at Louis.

"Clem what the hell are you doing. Am I rubbing off on you or something?" Louis questioned. He was standing to the right of her while she stared at Justin.

"You don't have to associate yourself with him." Clementine commented towards Erin.

Erin was in no mood to be told what to do. "I can fight my own battles thank you very much. I don't need a military brat trying to be a hero when she can't even walk by herself." She turned and stormed off towards the dorms. Justin following.

Clem had to blink twice in that one. " What the hell?" She muttered to herself.

Louis sighed. "Don't mind her. We're all here for a reason. For her it's extreme mood swings and compulsive behaviour," A faint memory uncovered itself. "She was getting better for a while, even had the chance to go home. Then had a relapse after her and someone else got into a feud."

Clem was quite observant and took note of things frequently. "You two were together. Correct?"

     His muscles tensed "Yes a year or so ago,"

    Clem nodded. She looked down to check her watch. "My apologies Louis, but I have to go my appointment,"

    "No problem, I'll see you after?" He asked hopeful.

    Clem nodded. "Do me a favour?" Louis looked up. "Show AJ a snow angel," with that she was on her way into the main building.

-
-
-
-
It's a shorter chapter but I am happy with it. I am still getting into the groove of things. The past couple weeks have been very hard. Seems like my head isn't quite straight yet.

As always have a good rest of your day♥️