Chapter 15: Broken Eyes

Several days had passed since the events in the music room. For the most part Louis and Clem acted the same. The odd time Louis would snake his hand into hers if they sat beside each other but nothing more ever happened. He knew that Clementine didn't know her boundaries and he respected that.

It was lunch time at Ericson. The group was sat at their regular table. Today the seat next to Clem was taken so Louis sat at the end.

"So what's everyone doing for Christmas?" Marlon asked taking a bite of his roast beef sandwich.

"I am goin' home for the break." Ruby answered.

"Me too. My parents said if I don't blow anything up I can stay the whole 2 weeks." Mitch had been at the school for a few years. His parents didn't want him coming home until his whole bomb situation mellowed out.

"I am going home and bringing Aasim with me." Omar was sipping on his soup while he answered.

Clementine was intrigued by the conversation. Although she was unsure what happened if she didn't have a home to go back to. The rest of lunch was filled with chatter. Whether it was about Christmas or just school.

    "Say, Clem what do you normally do on the holidays?" Mitch asked.

    The question pulled Clem from her thoughts. Oddly enough it made her heart race rapidly. "Well um...I like getting AJ a present. Sometimes I make them. Other times I found them on missions." It was clear that she was uncomfortable with the topic.

    "Only one?" Mitch asked looking up from his lunch.

    Clementine knew that most children received multiple gifts on Christmas. She remembered how many she used to receive. But with AJ it was never an option to spoil him. She did the best she could. Still, the comment made her feel guilty.

   Louis felt her energy shift. "Mitch, can you shut your mouth?" He spat wanting him to shut up.

    Mitch rolled his eyes. "Your one to talk. Jesus Christ Louis if you hadn't ruined your parents marriage than you'd be driving around in a McLaren for your 'early' Christmas present."

     Louis was taken back  but Mitch's sudden outburst. Marlon stood up pushing his chair over in the process. "Back the fuck off Mitch."

    Puzzle pieces started falling into place in Clem's eyes. She had been curious as to why Louis was here. In her eyes he didn't belong in this place but from what she's heard he did something pretty messed up. Looking over she saw that her light was gone. His spark dimmed.

    "Louis lets go," It wasn't a question it was an order. She got up hobbling over to him. She gave a gentle nudge. He was out of it.

    Louis stood up and walked beside Clementine. His eyes were fixed on the ground, studying the patterns that were tattooed into the tiles. "Don't mind him. If he knows what's best for him he'll shut his mouth."

The two found themselves in the music room again. "He isn't wrong though Clem." Clem cocked her head in confusion. "My family was rich, like stupid rich. My parents gave me everything I wanted when I wanted it. You could only image Christmas or my birthday. The only thing I never got was singing lessons." The two sat on the cold wooden floor. Clementine struggled a little but managed. "God I BEGGED my dad. Told him I wanted to be a real musician." His eyes glanced at the piano. "All he had to say is you get to be happy or you get to be rich. You can't have both. I know now he was just trying to teach me one of those dad lessons but I hated him for it."