Chapter 17: Brands

Louis turned around finding himself staring at Clementine. Her bandaged hands were gripping her bed as if it was a lifeline. Her teeth clenched her cheeks. Louis rushed over. He forgot what happens when she was exposed to sudden, loud noises.

    He crouched down in front of her, his hand rested on her knees. It felt odd, the metal was cold even through her pants. "Hey Clem," looking down her saw her hands trembling. Blood was beginning so soak through her wraps. "I am not gonna let anything happen to you. We are here together okay?" Finally her eyes disconnected from the wall to look at him. She gave a slight nod.

    As his senses calmed he felt his body tremble. "Fuck." Almost on cue the lights shut off. "Double fuck."

    The dark calmed Clementine. "What happened?"

    "The power went out." Even in the pitch black  he could feel the eye roll. He laughed at himself then releasing a sigh. "The furnace on this side of the school cuts in and out."

    Clem felt around for his hands grasping them, pulling him up beside her. "So we are going to freeze...in the dark."

"I mean it's not ideal," His hand was still firmly placed in hers. He didn't have any intentions to let go. "But hey at least I am here. In case it isn't obvious, I am way more fun."

"Don't get ahead of yourself Prince Charming." She said half heartedly. She could hear the pound of his palm to his chest. "You and Erin were together weren't you?"

It took him off guard but he had nothing to hide. "Ya we were. A while ago. We were friends for a long time before that though. I really liked her."

"If I am correct than in order for a-" She paused looking for the correct terminology. "Relationship to end than something has to happen to the people involved."

"She changed. Sometimes people change when they are in a relationship. She changed in a way that tore me away from her. Jesus, she wouldn't even let me talk to Violet. And Violet is gay!" He exclaimed.

Thinking about his answer rose more questions. "Do you miss the friendship? Why can't you still be friends?"

"It's just not how it works. You see a side you wish you hadn't. That side changes your perspective of the person." He felt his teeth chattering. Clementine's hands were getting colder as well. He felt around for the blanket. He pulled himself back, tucking his legs under. Her felt around for Clementine's shoulders pulling her back as well. The two were both under the covers cradled in each other's embrace to keep warm.

    The embrace felt comforting to Clementine. "You saw a dark side of me? Why didn't your perspective change?"

    "It did. It made me want you that much more." His hand was placed on her shoulder tracing circles with his thumb.

    Clementine felt that new feeling on her face. "Louis I think I am blushing again." She stated. He laughed at his accomplishment.

    The two talked about several different topics.  Some were meaningless others not so much. He described his and Erin's relationship following up with Violets then Marlon's and finally Ruby and Aasim's.

    "So your saying every Friday Marlon and Brody sneak out to an old dorm to have sex?"

    Louis nearly choked on his tongue. "Well putting it bluntly, yea." He felt her head nodding on his chest.

    "Hey Clem? When's your birthday?" The thought never crossed his mind.

    "November 15th I believe?" She asked more than answered. "It's been a long time since I celebrated it."