Chapter 7: Safe and Sound

There's an important question at the end of the chapter that I would like your opinion on!

________________________________

The last thing Clementine remembered was flashing lights and loud noises. Her body would jolt and spaz when the outrageous blaring made contact with her ear drums. Seeing her new friends and AJ gave her comfort. Until she was greeted with darkness again.

  2 weeks later

    AJ sat next to Clementine at all times. Holding her hand and talking about his day at school. This was all too familiar to him. The thought of losing the only thing he has caused enough worry to kill an army. Her room was decorated in flowers that her friends had brought. The mixed floral scents could give anyone a headache but the thought was there.

    Replaying the events that took place 2 weeks ago left AJ frazzled. He had been in art. The assignment was to draw scenery that the artist found joyful. He had drawn a picture of him and Clem sitting under a tree watching the sun go down. His peace was interrupted by a rambunctious teen bursting through the class door. He was one of the guys Clem hung out with. Marvon was it? No Marlon. He remembered Clementine correcting him. The blonde scanned the class and set sights on the little boy.

    "AJ we gotta go. It's Clementine." Without another word the two were out of the class bareling towards the gym where Marlon last saw Clem. Not even bothering to explain to his teacher.

     The young boy observed Louis and how gentle he was being. One of the teachers was on the phone. Still running, he stopped and dropped to his knees. "Is...is it her leg?"

     Ms. Martin made eye contact with his creamy brown eyes. "What exactly happened AJ? How did she lose her leg?"

    "She was on the front line... she lost her gun. All she was armed with was a knife. A man found her, he didn't have a gun either but he did have an axe. He sliced her calf open. But she kept fighting. She killed him in the end. I wasn't deployed for that mission so all I was hearing was what the Lieutenant was sending in. They couldn't find her. Probably thought she died. Turns out she clawed her way into an old shed. She stitched herself up with a fishing hook and fishing line. She had done the same thing to her arm when she was attacked by a dog when she was 11." He paused lifting her arm to let them all see her scar. "It got infected. She was in there for a few days at least. Once she finally got back to base it had been infected for about 2 weeks. She couldn't walk or even stand. The infection got into her blood stream so they had to get rid of it to save the rest of the leg, and her life."

    "Do you know what they used? To amputate it I mean?" AJ shrugged. "When did this all happen?"

     Taking a moment to think AJ answered "She's been using the prosthetic for 6 months."

Soon they heard the sirens bouncing off the trees into the school. AJ was never good at hiding emotions. He was scared. Petrified even. What was going to happen to the only thing he's known? Louis wrapped his arm around the little boy. "She'll get through this little man."

Bowing his head grasping her hand AJ replied. "I am not worried if she'll make it through. She's tuff. Tuffest person I know. But she changes when this stuff happens. She becomes colder, sadder. I am just scared who she'll be when she wakes up."

Present

     It was currently 7:08pm. AJ was getting ready to be picked up by Ms. Martin. Louis and Violet came in. "Alright AJ we have to leave now." Violet ordered softly.