Six

~Kaitlin Winchester~

“Hey! Give that back!” I let out, getting sassy as I saw at the brown haired, hazel eyed boy who holds a taunting smirk on his pretty boy face..

I watch the scene in front of me. This was when Austin and I shared our first memory that we would never forget. The day we met each other. The day we had started a life long friendship that would never be broken. The day we were so young, so innocent.

“Make me,” he teases, holding my paper to my classes above my head. First day of my seventh grade and I’m being harassed by some kid. I’m a new student. What does he expect me to do? I obviously don’t know my classes by heart or even the teachers for that matter?

“Want it back?” he soon continues. This kid was much taller then me, but I am a short kid. I am only 4’9 feet tall and he’s like 5’4! This isn’t fair to be picked on by some cute boy on the first day and have his overpower me by height.

“Yes please!” I say, popping the ‘p’ out a bit. I stick out my bottom lip, giving him my puppy dog face. I was a very innocent looking girl so most people fell for this. But this kid didn’t.

“Hmmm,” he taunts.

I just let out a groan at the kid, wanting to get to my class. He ignores my groan though, taking a look at my schedule.

“Kaitlin? Interesting name,” he teases, and I just roll my eyes at the kid, annoyed.

“Give me it back! I would call you by your name but I technically don’t even know it,” I let out, looking up at him in irritation. He looks down at me, my heart stopping as my eyes connected with his beautiful ones. It just took my breath away. I may be twelve, but I was pretty mature so I already knew I would like this kid.

“My name is Austin,” he replies, finally handing me back my schedule. He then starts to walk away, leaving me alone to handle myself. But he actually stops and looks back. The smirk soon appears on his lips,

“You coming, Kaitlin?” he asks. The smirk turns into a genuine grin, making my insides twist at the sight. I just nod my head, not sure what to say. I just follow behind him, keeping quiet. I didn’t question the kid because I already knew he was taking me to class.

“It smells,” I finally speak up, but at the same time he does. Our eyes avert to each other quickly before we both let out a light laugh. Just something about this kid made me feel safe. He made me feel happy. I just knew we clicked and I probably wouldn’t be getting rid of him any time soon.

I smile as the memory fades soon leading me back to the sight of Austin still next to my hospital bed. He plays with my small baby hand, refusing to move his spot for a second. He hasn’t showered. He hasn’t eaten. He hasn’t texted anyone. He hasn’t tweeted. He hasn’t even moved his gaze from me. His eyes looked bloodshot from crying so much.

He kept running his hands through his hair and it was a ratted mess. I wanted to just go and fix it myself, making him presentable for people but I couldn’t. I was stuck here unable to leave. Maybe I should just go for good and end all this misery on people. If I’m gone people can move on and not worry about me surviving this or not.

I wouldn’t be a burden to anyone. I wouldn’t have to wake up without parents every morning. Well I actually still did have a mom. Mrs. Mahone. She sits out in the waiting room, checking up on Austin every hour and keeping him updated.

He postponed his tour for me. He didn’t care about anything besides me. He didn’t even seem to care about leaving Camila behind. I figured he would since they’re together from what media says.

“Austin,” I hear a voice speak out and soon see it to find it belong to Lily. Her eyes were also bloodshot and I know I had made her cry too. She was being so strong though for everyone and Austin too. They tried to have faith in me, but even I didn’t have faith in me to survive this. I didn’t know what to do.

“Hey…” he whispers, not daring to raise his voice. Lily invites herself in, taking a seat next to him and looking over at me. Her eyes look up and down my body as she takes me in.

“I wonder what she’s thinking about right now,” Austin voices out of the blue to end the silence between them. Lily immediately glances his way, placing her hand on his back and rubbing it softly. Of course it made me a little jealous, but I knew they were just friends. She wouldn’t do that to me.

“In all honesty, probably you,” Lily lets out, sighing softly. I know she was the most upset about Austin ditching me completely. I seemed to be understanding about it. I just didn’t fit into his famous lifestyle. I think that’s a lot of the reason why and there was something else. I just didn’t know what. I never technically got to hear it.

“I missed her, Lily. I just knew she was better off without me…” Austin lets out in a whimper. His voice even cracks and shows the fact Austin was about to cry. I didn’t want any more tears so I place my hand on his shoulder and shut my eyes. I then squeezed, feeling him tense a bit but soon relax.

“I keep feeling like she’s with me. Talking to me,” Austin then says to keep from continuing the other conversation. Lily doesn’t notice though, she just nods her head in agreement.

“I swear I heard her tell me to calm down a few days ago. It sounded just like her. She had that sassy tone of hers, yet you could tell she was caring for me. It was like she was right next to me Austin…” Lily whispers, and I know she’s wondering if he’ll think she’s crazy. He just nods his head, listening to every word she has to say and not judging her.

“As soon as I got here I swear I heard her voice and it was music to my ears. That soft voice I missed so much and her touch,” he admits, as he gestures to our hand entwined together. “I just really fucked up,” he breathes out, his hazel eyes glistening from the tears he was trying to hold back.

“You really did, Austin.” Lily lets out, not even sugar coating it. Lily was a pretty straight forward person who didn’t take shit from anyone. She fought on seeing me so many times while at this hospital. I’m surprised they still let her in the building. They must think she’s like that because of the accident but no. She is always like that.

“But Austin, you know she still cares for you and we all know you care for her. I text Alex you know,” Lily pesters, and Austin soon lets out a weak chuckle. It’s music to my ears, just hearing that one sound. I swear I was yearning for that laugh more then I thought. I missed it so much.

I feel Austin fix his grip on my hand, but I can’t interact back. It just makes me let out a sigh in sadness. This can’t be happening. I just wanna wake up from this dream. This all has to be a dream. Please. Wake me up.

“I’m not going to mess up this time,” he lets out, but Lily just sighs.

“If she even makes it out alive,” Lily finally voices, making Austin sigh in distress. But Austin, knowing him, already knows what to say back so I wait.

His breathing is shaky but he soon decides to have a little faith, “Kaitlin’s a fighter so I know she’s going to make it out… I just know…

~~~~~~

My birthday is in two days! Holy shit. I'm going to be 16. Today some girl came up to me today and told me she saw edits of Austin and I together and said she shipped us so hard. I didn't even know her! It actually made my day a little better, but I realized it's better to be unhappy. I've been going through a lot, and making a lot of mistakes. I just don't wanna let anyone else in so :( I only find comfort in music now a days so I'm starting a youtube channel. Please subscribe :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/caitymcguigan