Twelve

Kaitlin Winchester

@KaitlinWinchester: Camping with my best friends like old times

I sit in Austin’s ranger rover with Alex and Lily. Robert, Zach, and Marina were in the other car. I learned that Marina is Robert’s new girlfriend, but it’s only been a few weeks. Austin explain that he’d honestly never seen his best friend so happy, and it made me smile the way Austin’s eyes lit up as he talked about him.

Austin always is one to care about his close friends. He never would get in a fight with them, and still hasn’t even with his stressful life. Austin does get angry, but he is always one to calm down or constantly blame himself for something that wasn’t his fault. He’s a very emotional and sentimental kid. He was also a very protective and jealous person in relationships.

I remember someone was talking bad about his girlfriend in eighth grade and he punched the guy. It was actually really hot, but I, being his best friend, never told anyone I thought that. Just the way his neck veins popped out, and his fists clenched. Just, wow. I still remember it so clearly.

As we pull up the campsite I notice five girls, who Alex even notices. “Shit,” I hear Alex say in the backseat, and I have to glance back at his worried expression. Before I can ask who it is, Austin asks,

“Wanna go camping another day?”

Confusion surrounds me as I try to wonder why they want us to leave. As Austin is soon recognized by his car, the girls turn around and one face makes my insides twist in jealousy. Camila Cabello.

~~~

@KaitlinWinchester: Jealousy is never someone’s friend.

I sit at the campfire, staying quiet as Austin is close to Camila just laughing his ass off. His perfect little laugh is just music to my ears and to know I’m not making it, makes my insides twist in jealousy. He even posted a picture with her on Instagram and not me, which makes this jealousy worst. Yeah, he finally gets to see me yet decides to post a picture with her.

Austin likes Camila. It’s obvious by the way he keeps looking at her. The way I look at him is the same as he looks at her. He looks at her like she’s the only girl in the world and it only matters when she is talking.

“Let’s play truth or dare!” Someone speaks up, and I don’t dare to say no. I just remain silent, taking in my surrounds. No one would really pick on me since most of the Fifth Harmony girls didn’t really care to know my name, including Camila. They probably already knew who I am though since my name was roaming around everywhere about being a new Austin love interest.

“Alex, truth or dare?” Ally asks, a smile trailing on her lips.

“Dare!” Alex says, smirking back at her. Alex always loved a good challenge and I knew Ally packed exactly that.

“I dare you to kiss Lily,” Ally voices, making Lily’s cheeks tint a nice pink. Even her blush was perfect. I was surprised Austin didn’t want to be Lily’s best friend. He chose me. He could’ve actually had an attractive best friend. No wonder why Austin picked me, so he didn’t grow to have feelings for me. I wasn’t pretty enough.

Alex does exactly that, it’s soft and sweet, making everyone awe. Lily just turns a deeper shade of pink, which soon turns to red. I knew Lily and Alex talked a lot and I could tell they liked each other a bit, but I never spoke up about it. I kept to myself knowing if I brought up Alex, she’d bring up Austin.

“Camila, truth or dare?” Alex asks Camila, making her smile innocently. I notice Camila’s hand on Austin’s thigh, making me feel sicker. I had to look away because I would’ve been caught staring and staring is rude.

“Dare,” she says.

“I dare you to run around the forest four times, and not come back until you’ve finished,” Alex dares, and Camila takes his offer up. She immediately gets up, and makes her way to the woods with a light jog, then she’s gone from our eyes.

“Anyways, Austin truth or dare?” Robert speaks up, and my gaze averts to him. What are they doing? This is just strange because I know when these boys have a plan and they definitely were brewing one up.

“Truth,” Austin says, knowing if he picked dare something would’ve happened. But no, the boys had a back up plan.

“Do you like anyone in this circle?” Roberts asks. Austin nods his head too, and I know he’s talking about Camila. He really likes Camila, and it makes my insides twist. I had to look down to hide my current emotions which were jealousy and depression. It’s hard to not be jealous of how Austin always seemed to choose the wrong girls. I could tell Camila was using him.

“Kaitlin, truth or dare?” Austin soon asks me, cutting me off from my daydreaming.

“Uh, dare,” I say.

“I dare you to go out into the forest for ten minutes alone,” Austin teases, and I roll my eyes at his pathetic dare and make my way there. I brought my phone with me to time myself. When I found a good spot I sat down, and just started to scroll through twitter. Luckily I had good reception here.

I went through twitter to see a whole bunch of Ausmila tweets where they were just bashing on Camila, which was a joy to read. I saw people on my timeline rting all the good Austlin tweets, making my heart beat faster at the pictures I’d seen. They had a bunch of pictures of Austin looking at me with a certain look in his eyes, and videos of him with fans, but he would glance back at me. They were all taken today too.

I hear some footsteps coming near me and look up to see Camila. She is standing over me, her arms crossed.

“Uh hi-”

“Stay away from Austin,” Camila hisses, making me choke on my own spit at her command. What did she just say?

“Excuse me?” I ask. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t dreaming and she actually said that to me. Who would have the courage to even say that so harshly? I was no competition to her. I don’t know why she would have to say this to me. He was obviously interested in her.

“Back off,” she spat, before continuing on what I guess was her third lap. I had to frown as I watched her perfect figure run off. Yeah, Camila is gorgeous. She’s perfect so I don’t know why she’s telling me to back off.

It’s not like he’s interested in me.