Chapter 34

"Can you pass me the syrup?" Hunter asks me from across the table.

I reach over and pass him the syrup as my dad grabs another pancake from the plate.

"Jax, do you want more?" My dad asks him. "Don't be shy to get another one there's plenty."

"Oh, he's not even finished yet. He's just getting started." Hunter chuckles.

"Thank you, Mr. Delgado." Jax politely says.

"What are you kids planning to do today?" My dad wonders, chewing on his pancake.

"Jax and I are going to a carnival with Rebecca and some guys from the basketball team." Hunter explains.

My heart dropped at the mention of Rebecca. Jax was supposed to break up with her the night he picked me up from Charlie's. I thought he did but at the sound of her name I knew he had yet to.

I could feel him staring at me from next to me as I silently ate my food.

"How's the team?" He asks.

"The season starts soon but we've just been practicing for the most part." Jax tells him.

"Why don't you take Emma with you today? You guys can all have fun, huh?" Dad suggests.

Hunter and Jax look at each other as I ignore their stares and look at my dad with a glare. He shrugs at me and looks at Hunter as he waits for an answer.

"We're gonna be with our friends dad. It's not a good idea she'll be bored." Hunter says.

"It's fine, Marissa is coming over later anyways. We're probably going to the movies or something." I say.

As much as I would enjoy being around Jax for the day I couldn't help but feel angry that he lied to me. We had been messing around since Wednesday and he's still with his girlfriend. I felt ashamed. Worst of all, I felt like all the other girls he uses.

"Why not? You can take Marissa too. Go, you'll have fun. I'll give you money, hold on." My dad quickly gets up from the table and runs over to the kitchen.

"What are you doing? Tell him you don't want to go. I'm not taking you." Hunter says in a hushed voice.

The Hunter I had seen a couple days ago crying on my shoulder was now gone. He disguised himself as strong and untouchable. He made me promise not to tell anyone about him crying. He said it made him look weak but I thought it made him strong.

He didn't see himself how I saw him.

"Does it look like I want to spend all day with you and your stupid friends?" I snap. "We'll all go our separate ways."

Dad comes back into the dining room and places a couple of twenties next to me. He hands Hunter some money too and even offers Jax but he wouldn't budge. Jax never accepted other people's money. It took him a lot to even accept his father's money.

"Thanks, dad. You're right I'm going to tell Marissa to come now and we'll all go together." I say, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"See, you guys go have fun. I'm sure you're overreacting Hunter." Dad says.

Glaring at me, Hunter angrily picks up a piece of pancake and shoves it in his mouth. I wasn't planning on being anywhere near Hunter and his friends. I was planning on doing my thing with Marissa at the carnival and Hunter could go do whatever he wanted.

"Make sure you guys bundle up it's going to be cold tonight." Dad says.

I nod and stand up as I finish my breakfast and thank him on my way to the kitchen. I place my dirty plate in the sink along with my cup and begin to wash it.