Chapter 56

Marissa above

The following day, I stood in front of Jax's door, gathering up the courage to knock on his door.

Last night was our first real fight and it didn't end well. If he wasn't going to try to fix things I was definitely going to.

Taking a deep breath, I bring my fist to the door only for it to swing open just before I was about to knock.

"Oh, Emma." Jax's mom stares at me with a startled expression. "You scared me, honey. How long have you been standing there? Did I not hear you knock?"

"No, no I just got here," I totally haven't been standing here for ten minutes debating on when to knock. "I'm here to see Jax." As if that wasn't obvious.

"He's in his room, go right in," She opens the door wide and moves aside. "Amanda, hurry up!"

"I'm coming, oh my God!" Amanda's loud foot steps are heard throughout the house.

"We're running a little late for a doctors appointment," she sighs. "I left food on the stove if you and Jax get hungry."

Amanda appears besides me, saying hello and giving me a hug before walking out of the house.

"Remind Jax about the picture frame, please. I left it in the living room. He knows where it goes. I gotta get going." She looks in her bag, throwing things around before getting her car keys out.

"Bye!" I wave them off as she runs to the car and drives off.

Locking the door, I make my way upstairs to Jax's room and knock on his door. There was a rustling noise and movement around before he appears at the door.

His hair was all up in different directions and he was only in his boxers. My eyes trailed down his body as he looked at me with a confused expression.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Not even a hi or nothing, wow." I joke, chuckling nervously.

"Did my mom leave already?" He asks.

I nod. "Yeah, and she said something about a picture frame?"

"Some stupid shit she wants me to hang up. I'll do it later." He moves aside and allows me into his room.

"Uhm, so how was your day?" I ask. "I barely saw you today and Hunter said you left school early. What was that about?"

"Just wasn't feeling school." He shrugs. He grabs his game controller and sits on his bed, putting his game back on play.

"Is that how you're going to be when you start college? Not "feeling school."' I air quote.

He stays quiet, concentrating on his game and doesn't move a muscle to look at me.

"Okay." I sit next to him. "What game are you playing?"

"A game."

"I know it's a game, I'm asking what game."

"Just a game." He squints his eyes at the TV, biting on his lips as he aggressively presses down on the buttons.

I sigh, moving my hair out of my face. "If you aren't going to talk to me then I'm leaving. I'm not going to sit here looking like an idiot trying to work things out while you ignore me. We have no type of communication because of this." I point between us.

I stand up, making my way to the door and just as I was about to open it Jax stops me.

"I want to talk." He says. His game was paused now with the controller put down next to him.