Chapter 52

Alex Fitzalan as Hunter Delgado above

One hour in and from my legs down I couldn't feel a thing. Sitting in the car for such a long time made my legs fall asleep, sending tingles through them every time I moved.

Jax's head laid on my lap as he was sleeping peacefully. I haven't been able to move because every time I did he complained I woke him up .

We had about two hours left until we reached New York and as we got closer to our destination my insides felt mushy.

Nick and Marissa were following close behind us in his car so we'd have more space.

"Can we stop at a gas station soon? I have to use the bathroom." I tell my dad.

"We're twenty minutes away from one. Hang in there." He says.

The morning sun was shining down on Jax's face making it glow with light. His body moved up and down as he breathed and his shoulders were relaxed.

He looked so peaceful sleeping but as I started getting anxious, I began poking his head. I poked him a couple times before I finally shook my legs and he jolted up.

"We're here already?" He yawns.

"Not even close." I say, massaging my thighs. "Had a good sleep?" I glare at him.

"Amazing." He blows me a kiss.

"At least one of us slept." I mutter.

"Stop complaining, this was your birthday idea." Hunter speaks from the front seat.

Taking off my shoes, I lay my legs on top of Jax's thighs and stretch out across the seat.

"Now this," I point. "Is so much better."

A long and anticipated twenty minutes later, we were standing in the gas station. While dad filled up the tank, Hunter and Jax went in to get snacks for the road.

I washed my hands, holding my breath to not breathe in the bathroom air and quickly ran out of the bathroom.

Gasping for air, I wiped my wet hands on my pants and walked over to the car.

"Excited?" Nick asks me as he's filling up the car tank. Marissa was in the front seat, her chair laid all the way back as she slept.

"You have no idea," I grin. "Have you ever been?"

"Pfft a ton of times." He nods. "My uncle lives in a penthouse in the city, so we visit a lot during the summer."

"That's so cool, have you taken Marissa?"

He shakes his head and leans over to see if Marissa was awake. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tiny box. "I'm going to giv-"

"You're proposing?" I raise my voice. My eyes pop out and I gasp loudly as I glance down at the shiny ring staring back at me.

  "No, shh," He stops filling his tank. "It's a promise ring. You think she'll like it?"

   "Are you kidding? She's going to love it. When are you giving it to her?" I intensely admire each crystal as it shines under the sun.

"I don't know." he shrugs. "I haven't exactly planned it all out." He shuts the box and puts it back in his pocket.

  "Well, don't worry about a thing. She's going to love it, trust me." I smile. My dad calls out for me and I excuse myself from Nick.

Approaching him, I lean against the car and watch him carefully.

"What's the first thing you want to do when we get there?" My dad asks me.