Chapter 55

Days went on, nights got longer, and school became a panic filled building I'd step into everyday. Tests and more tests were thrown my way. Midterm finals were right around the corner and my mind was going to explode at any moment.

December was the longest month for me. Not just because of testing, but on the fifteenth of this month it was my moms birthday.

It was a day filled of gloom and tension around the house. Last year and the year before and the year before that, dad slept at the station, buried in work.

Hunter locks himself in his room and I always mourn alone.

This year was different.

This year I wanted to celebrate her. I wanted to remember her and bring her name into the light. I was tired of remembering her as nothing but a sad distant memory.

I had five days until her birthday. Which meant five days to let my dad and Hunter mourn and be angry at the world before we would celebrate moms birthday.

Jax and I decided to disregard the whole college thing until it was time to really face it. However, I was still mentally preparing myself for the worst.

Since our trip to the city we hadn't brought up him going away to college. We thought it was best to put it aside until we find out if he got accepted or not. Until then, we would enjoy our time together and later, discuss our future plans.

I was currently sitting in front of my dad, fiddling with my fingers as he eyed me carefully.

This was the moment I'd present the idea of celebrating moms birthday for the first time. I was nervous to say the least about what he was going to say.

Clearing my throat, I squirm in my seat. "So, how was your day?"

"I've been sitting here ten minutes waiting for you to speak and now you ask that?" He raises his eyebrows. "Emma, what do you need?"

I sigh, sitting up in my seat. "Well, you know how moms birthday is coming up?"

I wait for him to answer as he looks at me with hard eyes and his shoulders tense. "What about it?"

"Well, I was thinking, and I'm sure Hunter is going to agree with my idea, all you have to do is say yes."

"Spill it out, Emma I have to get back to work." He tells me.

Here goes nothing. The worse he can say is no. "Iwanttocelebratemomsbirthday." I say in one breath.

"Emma!" He gets irritated.

"Okay, okay sorry," I look down. "I want to celebrate moms birthday."

His face goes blank and he stares at me, deep in thought, lost in his mind.

"Just Hunter, you and me, possibly Jax, and I can get a cake and cook moms favorite. We'll be celebrating her and her memory. I think it'll be go-"

"Stop," he puts his hand up and leans forward. "I think...I think you're right."

"What?" I was shook to the core. "Really?"

"Yes, I think it's a good way of remembering her." He nods.

Getting up from my seat, my eyes water as I wrap my arms around my dad's body. "Thank you."