Chapter 39

Throughout the week I saw Jax everywhere. He was in the halls in every corner I turned with his friends, in the lunchroom, and worse of all, the seat next to mine in Spanish.

We hadn't talked since Sunday and as the week dragged on it became harder for me to face him. I started waking up earlier and taking the bus just to avoid him.

Rebecca was out of our lives for good and Hunter had moved on to other girls from school.

I was currently sitting in Spanish class, with Jax's empty seat besides me keeping me concentrated on my work.

Today was the first time he had skipped in a long time. I didn't know if to feel glad I wouldn't have to pretend to ignore him again or worried he didn't show up.

I knew he was in school because I had seen him at lunch last period with his friends.

Just as I was about to brush the thought of him off, the door swung open and in he came. He walked over to the teacher, handing him a note.

"Coach needed to speak to us about this season." He tells Mr. Brown.

Nodding, he instructs Jax to take a seat and within moments he's sitting besides me.

We were half way through the period when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I stop taking notes and turn to my side to see Jax looking at me with a soft smile.

"Hey." He whispers.

I press my lips together and give him a tight smile, throwing a little wave his way. I turn my attention back to Mr. Brown and ignore Jax's intense stare from my side.

"Emma," Jax calls out in a hushed voice.

Just pretend you don't even hear him I thought to myself. I'm sure he'll get the point and stop.

"Emmaaaa." He says, dragging out my name. "Emma, can you hear me?"

Sighing in defeat, I look at him, raising my eyebrows. "What?"

"Can you stay after school today? I have basketball practice and I want to talk to you." He says.

"No," I reply while shaking my head. "I'm busy."

"You're never busy." He responds. "Especially not for me."

Rolling my eyes, I look away from him and lean on my arm making sure he couldn't see my face. It was useless. When I wouldn't stop ignoring him he kept throwing pieces of little papers at me. After a while, I grew tired of him annoying me and hesitantly agreed on meeting him in the gym.

In the back of mind Hunter popped up. I didn't know how I was going to explain to him why I needed to speak to Jax. He would be in the gym practicing along with their other teammates.

Once the bell rang, I went along my normal school day until the last bell of the day for me rang. My heart suddenly picked up its pace and my hands were soaked with sweat. I tried wiping them on my jeans but it was no use. They were practically crying for help.

Walking into the gym, I kept my head hanging low. It was so loud in the gym yet the only thing I could hear was my boots hitting against the floor and my unsettling breathing.

The jacket I was wearing was too big and warm to be wearing in the gym. I took it off the second I stepped in and held it to my chest.

It reeked of socks and the air was so stuffy you could barely breathe.

As I looked around the gym, my eyes landed on the guys in the far corner huddled up together. There were some girls around the gym practicing for cheer and other kids on the bleachers watching the players.