Chapter 11

"Oh! Hello Miss Violet!" Miranda exclaimed as she stood and smiled.

Violet entered the room and greeted.

"Would you care for some tea, Miss Miranda?" Violet asked.

Miranda smiled "yes, please."

Violet ordered tea and settled down opposite Miranda on the sofa.

"What brings you here?" Violet asked with a smile.

"Oh!" Miranda touched her forehead "I totally forgot about it; I've come here to return your bracelet."

"Bracelet?" Violet questioned.

"After you left the ladies' retiring room yesterday, you forgot to take back your silver bracelet which you'd taken off and kept on the table before washing your hands. I saw it there and immediately recognized it as your bracelet. So..."

Miranda carefully took out the bracelet from her purse and gave it to Violet.

"Oh my god!" Violet said "how can I forget this? I mean, this is so expensive and my parents had gifted me this on my birthday last year. I- I- thank you so much! You are such a nice person and you came all the way here and and -"

"Miss Violet! It's all fine and good. I'm most happy to return a thing that's valuable to you" Miranda said and chuckled softly "you are so flushed out right now!"

"Oh trust me on this one. My mother would have had had my head if this would have gone missing" Violet said and laughed.

Tea arrived till then.

"How do you take your tea Miss Miranda?" Violet asked.

"Half cup of milk, three spoons of sugar and quite a little tea."

"Interesting."

Violet prepared Miranda's tea and then prepared her's too.

"Miss Violet we should extend our friendship, I think."

Violet took a sip "hmm?"

"I mean we should go out sometimes together and and - Oh god this is embarrassing -"

"Calm down Miss Miranda, It's fine. I know what you mean. What you really need is company. And so do I. We both, I mean don't have friends. I always see you deprived of company standing at the corner of ballrooms like a wallflower. And even if I have company, i don't have friends. Women loathe me and think of me as unworthy of attention and marriage proposals. We both should totally be friends. I've always longed for one. Please be that 'one'."

Tears welled up Miranda's eyes "but first of all, drop that 'miss'. It's Miranda, not Miss Miranda."

Violet stood, went forward and embraced Miranda in a hug.

Maybe not all friendships started with an accidental meeting. Some even started with years of acquaintance and a pure smile of kindness. Friendship is not always two people experiencing pits and bumps of life together. Friendship is not always finding someone to entertain you, but it is finding someone who can be with you when life gets really rough and tough. Because there will be ample to entertain you, but barely a few to stand by your side when you face the large wave of dismay.

It's rightly stated that opposites go well with each other. But some friendships are better with the both being alike. Because the boat of friendship has two oars. If the oars are moved in opposite directions, how will the boat move? How will the friendship last?

Violet looked at Miranda as she pulled back. But the unnamed emotion in Miranda's eyes went unnoticed by Violet.