Chapter 25

Violet looked at Simon. She kept looking. She tried stealing as many glances as she could.

How had she never noticed him? How had she never noticed those thick beautiful curls of his hair that looked like velvet. Violet felt the need to touch his hair.

As they danced, Violet was amused to see how graceful of a dancer Simon was. 

He danced effortlessly. Without any flaw. He kept murmuring as he danced, and Violet couldn't wonder what it was that he was talking to himself about.

As they crossed paths while dancing again, she finally leaned in close enough to hear him.

She realized that he was timing his steps. Or probably someone else's. 

Violet liked to think that he was probably timing her steps.

Did he like her? Violet couldn't tell.

She was sure that he did think of her as a friend, but really she wasn't sure what it was that he felt about her.

Back at the ballroom's backyard, when Violet had practically thrown herself at him, trying enough, probably more than enough to get him to confess his feelings, she had been hurt when he had changed the topic at hand. 

But at the same time, she was happy that he hadn't confessed either.

Violet did like Lord Simon, but she needed to know the man fully. She needed to know what it was that lay within his surface and thick skin which apparently was too thick to give away his emotions.

And at the same time, Violet had someone else to deal with.

The oh-so-mysterious anonymous man that had entered her life.

During the dance, Violet's eyes darted back and forth in search of any man who could have been looking at her.

She for sure knew and probably felt the anonymous man's presence because she internally knew someone was watching her. The man, in his letter had described Violet's face with such remarkable accuracy that even she was startled. 

But Violet just couldn't seem to find the anonymous character. She'd told him to show his face at the party, but she highly doubted that he'd come.

He felt like a coward. He surely felt like one.

After the dance, Violet went to the back of the ballroom to calm herself down. The adrenaline rush had caused her body to grow hot. She felt suffocated. Probably claustrophobic. Amidst so many faces, she was unable to recognize which face she was exactly looking for. She was torn, confused, exhausted and a little angry.

Torn between Lord Simon and the anonymous man.

Confused because of her incapability to observe differences.

Exhausted because her body was hot and worn out.

And angry, because, because-

Well, why was she angry?

Angry because anonymous hadn't shown his face?

Angry because Lord Simon hadn't confessed?

Well, weren't both those things not supposed to happen tonight?

Violet sighed. She walked toward the washroom,  and washed her face and composed herself for a few minutes. She then came out of the washroom and started walking down the dark hallway, slowly. She knew that at the end of the hallway there was a balcony. And Violet knew that it was a full moon night.

Probably, a quiet night to herself was what she needed the most.

As she entered the balcony, she felt the bliss of the air whisper something in her ears. The light from the moon made everything aglow with sheer beauty.

The ambiance was bathed in soft fire of serenity and the leaves of the trees rustled past each other in silence, as if to communicate with the atmosphere.

Violet caressed her arms lightly as she felt the air tickle her. She liked the feeling.

It felt like a tease. More so-

"Miss Violet?" 

Violet turned to face the warm unfamiliar sound that had called out her name so graciously.

"Lord Jonathan?"