Chapter 26

Violet's eyes widened. Her tongue darted out to moisten her lips. She straightened her posture and stiffened her spine.

She bobbed a curtsy immediately and tried to smile "Lord Jonathan."

Lord Jonathan tried to bow, and he must've, but Violet was so lost in her own thoughts that she was unable to focus clearly.

What the hell was he doing here? Here? In an aloof and secluded balcony?

Violet thought for a second. Was he the anonymous man?

He couldn't be, he possibly couldn't.

Violet had imagined the anonymous man to be quiet.

A man who just listened. And a man who just observed. And a man who was a dark, afflicted, poet who drank too much but possessed a heart of gold.

A fine man probably, not too handsome. Just fine. A man who was well and soft-spoken and way too shy for her liking.

But with Lord Jonathan standing in front of her eyes, she was unable to picture him as the anonymous writer.

Lord Jonathan was a respectable earl, who was exceedingly popular. He was always standing at the middle of all ballrooms. Was and had always been so popular, that those bickering London mammas had long since declared him a catch, and a touch 'too' handsome, thus suitable for their daughters.

She just couldn't imagine him writing her love letters filled with his staggeringly accurate description of her. He just wasn't the type. He was far too occupied with creating impressions of himself to ever notice her.

But still, what if..-

"Miss Violet?"

Violet looked up "to-to what do I owe this pleasure?"

Darn, she sounded weak. She hadn't meant to, but it wasn't easy to maintain equilibrium especially when one had suffered enough for the night.

Lord Jonathan smiled a lopsided smile. More of a grin actually.

He was quite handsome, she noticed. Not the type that likened him to a rake, but handsome nonetheless. Handsome in a manner that was explicable. And accepted too. Just the right amount. Probably a little more. But spot on. Surely not as handsome as Simon, but quite so.

"A beautiful woman aglow in the sight of a full moon. The pleasure's all mine" Lord Jonathan said, smiling a full smile this time.

Violet schooled her features into blushing "Lord.."

She did not know why but she felt bare. A little exposed and simply..vulnerable.

It was quite dark to discern his intentions properly but with full regard to propriety, Violet felt his closeness quite discomforting.

Lord Jonathan came even nearer "are you here alone?"

Violet gulped "ye-yes."

He came even nearer, his breath growing hot and suffocating as it settled on her skin "Just how I'd like."

It was then that she realized that he was drunk. She could practically smell the brandy and she hated it. She hated his presence, his very presence that women of the ton found appealing.

She just wasn't able to believe this scene. Probably never could have imagined.

Lord Jonathan was a respectable man, and they greeted each other properly every time they met.

It surely was that blasted drink. It had to be.

Violet felt compromised, and she knew that if anyone found her in such state, she would be forced to marry him. Her heart started panicking, but she felt deprived of any movement. She was..she was...paralyzed.

He came nearer "you're so beautiful."

Violet widened her eyes, and her breath started to grow ragged, or at least she felt so, and when she finally was able to find her voice, all she could manage was, a meek "please."

Lord Jonathan chuckled. His eyes were red and his smile terribly murky.

She hated it. She hated him. At that very moment. She wanted to yank his cravat off or probably just do something that would distract him, so that she could make a run for her life.

Violet took a step back "ple-"

"Please, what?" Lord Jonathan said and chortled.

"Please. GO AWAY" Violet shrieked. She was extremely pained. Too heavy and tired and overwhelmed with the events. Her voice was laced with just so much agony. It hurt her.

Lord Jonathan stopped. Then laughed. Loudly. He literally shook with laughter.

Violet looked at him in disbelief.

Lord Jonathan closed the distance between them and glowered at her "never."

Violet let out a cry and she shrieked as he ogled her ruthlessly and when finally he kept his hand on her arm, he was knocked over to the ground with a great thud, followed by-

"Jonathan, you rat bastard!"