More than friends

It was around 11pm, and it was completely dark out. I had just had a huge argument with my friend. I stormed out of the room and ran towards the lake. I sat on the edge of the pier and stared out at the water.

I heard footsteps approaching. Shawn, my best friend of 2 years, came and sat down next to me.  He sat in silence and just stared at me while I continued looking out at the water. A tear formed in my eye and rolled down my cheek. Shawn reached over and wiped it from my face. "Are you okay y/n?"
I shook my head, and began to cry harder. Shawn pulled me in and gave me a hug to comfort me, and it worked.

I have always had a crush on Shawn, but I haven't told him because if he doesn't feel the same way, it could ruin our whole friendship. When he hugged me, it reminded me that he cared for me, which made me feel a sense of relief and safeness.

Shawn pulled away from the hug and stared into the distance. I placed my hand down next to his, so close but yet so far apart. He looked at me and then down at our hands. He lifted his hand and placed it on top of mine. It sent a warm tingle down my body, and my cheeks started to turn pink.

"Y/n", he said calmly, "you don't need her, she's a horrible person and doesn't deserve someone like you as her friend." I smiled lightly. "Thanks Shawn" I whispered softly as I wiped a few more tears from my face.

He slowly lifted his hand off from on top of mine. As soon as he did, he grabbed my hand and held it tight.  I turned to face him and pulled away in shock. "Oh I'm sorry..." he said, looking embarrassed. "I shouldn't have done that, ima head back inside." As he got up and started to turn around, I grabbed his hand. He turned to face me, looking confused. "Please stay." I muttered quietly.  He sat back down next to me and shuffled closer. Our legs were now tangled, and our thighs touching. He held my hand with his left, while he stroked my back with his right. I couldn't help but smile. He tilted his head down, and I saw that he was smiling too. I lay my head on his shoulder and continued to stare into his eyes.
"Y/n, there is something I should tell you... I like you. I really really like you."