Same Love (Part 1)

If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me

Have you read the YouTube comments lately?

"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily

We become so numb to what we're saying

A culture founded from oppression

Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em

Call each other faggots behind the keys of a message board

A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it

Gay is synonymous with the lesser

Walking down the street in clothes that aren't meant for their gender spheres. Speaking in tongues that aren't meant for their gender. Acting like the opposite sex when they had to right to. Stepping our of the box instead staying in their stereotypes. Being people who they aren't. Being... As they type behind the keys of their keyboards... Gay.

It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion

Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment

The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins

It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference!

Live on and be yourself

When I was at church they taught me something else

If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed

That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned

When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless

Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen

I might not be the same, but that's not important

No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it

" Gays are lost in the pool of sin! We as Christian people need to step forward and bring them out of the darkness that the devil has thrown them into! We need to come forth and show them the true ways of God! Let the Lord speak into their hearts and bring them back into his arms! "

A series of 'preach' and 'amen' sounded through the church as the pastor spoke with such force and uplifting hope that it rubbed his listeners to feel the same way. They clapped and honored him as he spoke, vocally sounding their words of approval and agreement. All except one person.

They sunk deeper and deeper into their seat, trying to turn invisible and escape the sermon. However, they couldn't. Their parent pleaded for them to come to church today because it was a special day. Just to please their parent, they went and thoroughly regretted the decision. Today was the day that the pastor would be preaching about homosexuality and how it is a sin.

" The bible does not put man and man together! The bible does not put woman and woman together! The bible clearly states that a man and a woman are put together to lie in the same bed! ".

Tensely, they stood up and excused themselves before exiting the holy building and escaped into the crisp winter air. From a near distance, they could hear rap music blasting from the radio owned by a couple of neighborhood kids. Raps expressing the strong hatred for homosexuals, expressing how a man and a woman do intimate things together and not men and men or women and women.

" That's so gay! ", they hear a neighborhood kid shout to a parent after being denied the option of going out to the mall.

They cringe at the word. Why? Why did that word have to be expressed in such a negative way? It was first expressed as a way of happiness, gay was meant to be a synonym for happy. However, it's expressed in a way that makes homosexuals feel as though they're being looked down upon. Scorned.

 Looking around the exterior of the church is intimidating. It almost appears as though the church knows their dark secret, one that would surely get them disowned by their parents for the word of the pastor strongly affects them. The fear that their parents would be embarrassed by their childrens' preference.

 They looked at the supposed golden gates of the church, watching the so-called sinners waltz around the streets. Yet, when they looked down at themselves, all clothed in the Sunday attire and here to worship and praise God. There is something wrong. Why are people of different skin color, of gender, of their ethnicity, of their religion, of their sexuality being discriminated against if they are all human beings? What made them different? What made them so hated by the human race? Why were they different and everyone else was normal?

 Their parent came out of the holy sanctuary to comfort their child. Concerned over to their abrupt exit and curious as to why they left.

Silence.

 How does a child explain to their parent that they feel an attraction towards the same sex? How does a child break down such a touchy subject without making the air awkward? Without making everything tense? How? How? How? How does one confess to their parent, who has been caring for them for so long, that they're in love with the same sex?

And I can't change

Even if I tried

Even if I wanted to

And I can't change

Even if I tried

Even if I wanted to

My love

My love

My love

She keeps me warm

She keeps me warm

She keeps me warm

She keeps me warm