sick

the air was getting colder as london plunged into fall and then very slowly, winter. heaters were being plugged in, windows were being shut tight, and blankets were being piled on. for most people, this meant that school was probably going to be closed down if the cold weather turns into pearly white snow which all the students hoped for.

but for dan, this meant he couldn't go to his new job as a waiter at a restaurant that wasn't far from phil's work. he had only just started a week ago and was very excited when he the receptionist had called back and told him congratulations. dan had completely thought he failed it during the interview. he was nervous, stuttered a lot and didn't look the interviewer in the eye. phil had kept reassuring him that almost anyone could get a job as a waiter so he would most likely get the job.

still, dan was worried until the phone rang late one night and dan practically jumped over phil to reach his phone. he had answered with an out of breath 'hello?' and then the good news came. phil was sitting up watching dan's smile get bigger and bigger, his dimples getting more defined as he hung up the phone and turns to him.

they both already knew he got the job, so all dan does is throw his arms around phil's neck and yells softly since it was the middle of the night. phil was laughing and rubbing his back when dan looks at him.

"i'm happy for you dan." phil smiles and it was genuine as he sits there looking fondly at him.

dan gives him a small thank you before hugging him again. that was all before they fell asleep once more that night.

now, dan had gotten a call saying not to come in because it was heard that a storm was supposed to blow in in the middle of the day and it could be severe. he was upset but understood the consequences if he went. so instead, he takes off his uniform and gets into warm and comfortable clothes.

phil on the other hand, had to go to work no matter what. but it seemed like the weather was taking a toll on him the most. he sneezes as he comes down the stairs. "dan, i think i'm sick."

in a matter of a few seconds, dan had on a mask, gloves, and air freshener in one hand and sanitizer in the other. "what did you say?"

phil give him a crazy look. "what is the matter with you, i said i think i am."

"we can't take any chances," dan says, moving quickly to the hallway closet. "lay down, i'll take care of you."

dan comes back in the room holding three blankets in his arms. he sees phil coughing into his hand as he sits back on the couch.

"you can't go into work today. besides, there's supposed to be a big storm coming anyways." he pushes phil's shoulder down and drapes the blankets on top of him.

"what about alex? she's at school." he rubs his temples a little, "i think i'm getting a headache."

usually, phil and alex would leave right about at the same time, but this morning, dan did find it a little strange that he had gotten up before phil and got dressed but he didn't think anything of it until alex left soon after but that was when he got the call from work which got him distracted.

"don't worry, i'll go down there and pick her up but right now i have to see what's wrong with you, the flu is really going around." dan shoves the blankets off of phil and watches as he sneezes a few more times.

he grabs the air freshener and sprays then takes off one of his gloves to put the back of his hand to his forehead. "you're a little warm...is it the blankets?"

"no," phil assures, "i'm actually pretty cold."

dan bites his lip and gets up. walking into the kitchen, he grabs his phone that he had left on the counter to look up symptoms of the flu since it was self diagnosable.

'symptoms of influenza include: sneezing, dry cough, headaches, mucsle aches, chills, sore throat, loss of appetite, fatigue...'

dan had turned off his phone by then and was already running back in the living room to phil who was having coughing spurt. he looks up at dan. "what's up?"

"so...you have the flu i'm pretty sure." he answers, pulling his mask up higher. one way the flu was contagious was by airborne respiratory. "i'll call your work and let them know while i also go pick up alex."

phil smiles sheepishly. "thanks dan, i'm supposed to be the one taking care of you."

dan rolls his eyes. "phil everyone gets sick, it's not like just because you're the so called 'dominate' one,doesn't mean that you have powers that repel bacteria. let me do this for you okay? stop worrying about it."

"wow dan i didn't know you were so-" sneeze. "so cool."

dan just grimaces and sprays more freshener and drops tissues and sanitzer beside him. "i'll be back in a few minutes, if you need to touch something, coat yourself in sanitizer first."

hey, how are you?

~ alivia