a misunderstanding

"phil!"

dan tries to grab him as he lunges toward colton but he was to quick and the two were already sprawled out on the grass. dan flings the jacket off of him and runs to phil, tugging his shoulder, trying to get him off of colton and that's when phil issues the first punch.

"phil stop it! what the fuck are you doing?!" dan screams at him and tries as hard as he can to pull him off but obviously it wasn't working.

"dan....get back!" colton groans from underneath phil.

dan looks helpless. "b-but why? i have to get him off-"

"dammit dan fucking do it!" he yells, holding phil's fist away from his face.

dan steps back quickly and when he does, colton starts to move. he's never seen anyone move so fast as colton immediately slips out from under phil and flips him so he's on the ground. before dan could stop him, colton punches phil in the face too.

screaming again, dan rushes back over to the boys but before he could get there, colton starts talking.

"mr lester please just let me explain! i-"

phil cuts him off with spit in his face and a push to the shoulders. "you don't have to explain nothing! you keep your horny teenage hands off my boyfriend!"

colton was thrown on his back but quickly gets up just as phil does too. the youngest puts his hand up to his nose and when it comes away with blood, he looks at phil scowling. "fine then..i guess talking is out the window"

"oh definitely," phil walks up to him slowly, "what? that poor nosebleed making you want to go home?"

colton starts walking too. "looks like you're bleeding more than me just from my one punch, i don't think you want to mess with me."

"oh i think i do."

dan rolls his eyes and jumps in between the two, putting his hands on both of their chests. "stop it, the both of you! what are you? 18? no offense colton."

"none taken." colton narrows his eyes, shaking out his shoulders, "you should control him."

"and you should shut your fucking mouth!" phil pushes against dan's hand and it takes everything in him to push him back even an inch.

he glares at phil. "i'm ashamed of you. if you would've let him explain, if you would've let me explain before you go all john cena-"

"he had his hands on you!"
"he was just getting his jacket back!"
"why couldn't you just give it to him yourself?!"
"colton was just being a gentlemen-"

phil gives a bewildered look. "a gentlemen?!"

"yea!" colton snaps, "exactly! i was there for him tonight when a bunch of fucking frats were hitting on him, where were you huh? WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU!"

phil stops completly and looks at dan. "what?"

fuck. he was in trouble now.

dan takes his hand off colton and turns to him fully. he smooths out his shirt. "listen phil....it wasn't anything okay? it was just a stupid guy who-" he stops himself biting his lip.

"who what? what did he do to you?" phil's face was was reddening by the second and dan was starting to get anxious.

"well let me know this....were you planning on telling me at all?"

dan keeps his mouth shut and his eyes drop from his feirce eyes to his chest.

the deep rumble in phil's laugh causes dan's hands to shake. "oh so you were just going to let this sack of shit drop you off here and make up some elaborate lie on why he did it?"