08

Starbucks had become nothing more than a spectacle of girls taking selfies of their low-fat pumpkin spice lattes or whatnot, but here Diana was sitting, amused by the shallowness of high school girls

Starbucks had become nothing more than a spectacle of girls taking selfies of their low-fat pumpkin spice lattes or whatnot, but here Diana was sitting, amused by the shallowness of high school girls. Why was she here? Well, that was a simple answer. Her typical coffee joint was closed, and at the end of the day, Starbucks coffee was more than adequate. Diana sat in the downstairs area with her laptop on the table in front of her, sipping her coffee often, a latte, to be fair. One of their specials seemed to change every three months, even though plenty were more excellent than anything else on the menu. She was scrolling through the many emails filling her inbox, most of which were spam, but several family members used this method to keep in contact with Diana and her brother.

Diana liked sitting here, it wasn't quiet, but it did have moments of peacefulness. Diana knew she should consider getting a job here and take the pressure off her brother, but equally, he had always been the type of person that said the focus on school and then you can work. Diana didn't know what she wanted to do with her life, but then again, she was always used to life making that decision for her, and she was okay with that, for now.

However, being who she was, she couldn't help but bring up a job search site to see what was out there; a summer job was perfectly normal for a college student, but she didn't need the money at this current most of the time. Her college was paid for, she lived at home, and she had made a decent amount of money during her year off. During her year out, she spent the winter working in a Canadian ski result, and the summer she spent at a camp around two hours away. The money hadn't been excellent, but as her brother did his best to care for everything, she knew it would be enough for now.

Diana then decided to pull up her Facebook page and observe what everyone in her was up to. Some were working those summer jobs, some were taking those lavish holidays, and others were settling down and getting married. She posts from the extended family she barely spoke to. She saw several posts regarding her parents, it had been the anniversary of their death just a couple of days ago, and the pain of them being gone had always hit her differently than her brother.

Diana had always reached denial mode when it came to their death; her brother began to close up a little bit and would often lock himself away for the three days surrounding the date. Her mounting period always appeared just when she thought she was over, but how do you get over your parents dying? You don't.