12

Diana left her bed dressed in nothing more than a thong and an oversized jumper, completely forgetting that Jack had spent the night in her brother's room

Diana left her bed dressed in nothing more than a thong and an oversized jumper, completely forgetting that Jack had spent the night in her brother's room. She marched across the main room only to see a note from him. His handwriting was challenging to read as he lopped too many letters; therefore, it looked like a child had scribbled across the page. Nevertheless, she managed to make out the gist of the note. He would be meeting his agent about a couple of potential gigs he would be taking part in and would bring back some food for her. Diana felt a rush of warmness going through her body at the sight of the note. A person being nice to her and wanting nothing in return. This was foreign to her in recent years; she realised that everyone was out for themselves when it came to New York City. Finding someone you would trust was hard; finding someone to love through and through was almost impossible.

Diana made herself a cup of coffee before returning to the sofa and turning on some mindless sitcom to try and keep her in a good and positive state. Diana sat with her legs pulled to her chest, sipping her coffee as her eyes lazily gazed at the screen in front of her. She sat here undisturbed for half an hour before the front door opened and Jack came in holding a brown paper bag. She could smell the food before she had registered the creaky door opening.

He came over to where Diana was sitting and pulled out a bacon and egg wrap, placing it on the coffee table in front of her. It was wrapped in a white paper napkin and looked as if he had come from the corner shop at the end of the street, meaning it would still be burning hot. Diana mummers her thanks, putting her legs down and leaning forward to grab the roll. Jack's eyes are focused on Diana, and he takes in her, and he can't help but notice her red and slightly swollen eyes. She had put her glasses on today just because she hadn't yet made her way to the bathroom, most likely to cry and wash away her anger silently, but even through her oversized frames, Jack could see that pain was the only emotion crossing her face. He knows he shouldn't inquire about what she had said last night, but it didn't remove the fact that he was more than curious.

"So got any job lined up then?" Diana asks before taking a massive bite of the wrap, a little bit falling onto her sweatshirt. She ignored the dropped food and was much more focused on stuffing her face.