I: 4 :I

Callum

Callum was no good at sneaking around. Especially when compared to Rayla. She made it look so easy. Jumping from rock to rock, not making a single noise. Meanwhile, he was just trying not to fall over his own feet. While walking, Callum made the mistake of looking back up at Sol Regem.

Wow. That's a big dragon.

He couldn't get over how big he was. Callum hadn't even noticed the dragon when they entered the canyon. He assumed it was just another mountain or something. It wasn't until the ground started to shake from the dragon's movements that he realized how wrong he was.

"Hey." Rayla whispered, "C'mon. Keep going."

Callum realized he had stopped moving and was just staring up at the dragon. He continued moving forward. Zym was hanging off of his back, looking around. He must have seen something in one of the small bushes near Callum because he jumped into it, making a lot of noise in the process.

Sol Regem lifted his head up from behind a boulder, obviously searching for the source of noise.

Oh great. Now I'm dead for sure. Callum thought to himself. He was caught right in the open with nowhere to hide. Meanwhile, Rayla danced around and hid behind a pile of rocks, out of sight. She gestured for Callum to head her way. He began walking towards her when Zym began running around in the bush again.

Sole Regem turned his massive head, sure that he heard something that time. Callum stopped moving, looking up to see if the dragon had spotted him. His fear was confirmed when he saw those two gleaming eyes staring down at him.

He gulped. Well, 'death by giant dragon' isn't a bad obituary.

The dragon bent his head down to get a better look at Callum, sniffing him with great interest. Callum glanced over at Rayla to see what he should do. She was moving her hands up and down, as if to say 'just breathe'. The same thing his mother had told him. Callum calmed down.

So far, Sol Regem hadn't done anything. Maybe he was just going to let him walk past. The dragon had started to back away, maybe realizing Callum wasn't a threat. There was a subtle rustling of leaves behind Callum and he turned to see Zym jump out of the bush, a small shiny stone in his mouth.

Sol Regem, again inquisitive, bent his head down to smell the young dragon prince. He got one good sniff in before his eyes changed and he backed away. He lifted his head back and roared, scaring the life out of Callum. Without thinking, Callum picked up Zym and started running to Rayla. They had made it to the protection of a small cave when they turned and saw Sol Regem get up. The giant dragon began walking around and sniffing the air, obviously looking for something.

"Is he looking for us?" Callum asked, still holding Zym in his arms.

"No I don't think so." responded Rayla. "I think he's looking for someone else, maybe elves."

They watched as the dragon walked over to the edge of the canyon and knock some boulders over, revealing a hidden tunnel.

"I'm going to go see where that leads." said Rayla who promptly snuck off, staying in the shadows to avoid Sol Regem's gaze.

Callum turned his attention to Zym. The troublesome dragon was still trying to eat the shiny rock he had found.

"Hey! Hey! Spit that out!" he ordered the young dragon.

Zym let out a little grunt, after which he spit out the rock.

"Rocks are not food. Who taught you that rocks are edible?" he asked.