Chapter 10 - Every great achievement is a new launching point

A black belt in Kung Fu was a goal set and reached. While I am proud of it, I know it is really just a new place of launching forward. The human spirit will once again call, actually shortly after arrival to this brief and new destination, and then off again the spirit will move to another destination that once again pushes beyond today's current limitations.

When we look at a goal and all we believe it will mean for us, we need to realize we will spend more time trying to reach it then we will in celebrating its achievement. Any goal quickly becomes a marker of the past, and soon we are again moving forward. This is the beauty of life and one of its hardest challenges.

We have the opportunity to see that life is a decision to stay on our given path and conduct ourselves in a given way. If we understand, it is the way God intends for us and we reap life's fullest rewards. If we stay on God's path we realize that no destination really exists in this world, that it really is a continual path of growing, learning, stretching. While we are on this earth we are never a finished product, and if we allow God to have his hand on our lives, it will always be magical and amazing and good and our path won't end.

This is the most profound lesson God has taught me. Each destination that is placed in my heart is an opportunity for growth that will develop new gifts or enhance others. Each gift I have been given is meant to help others along the way. If I don't take the journey, if I hold back, if I live in excuses, I am selfishly not helping those I am meant to help.

But if I launch off boldly forward, I have the opportunity to reach goals and destinations I may have never even imagined for myself. At the end of life, I want to know that I helped every person I could, encouraged as many people as possible, and led every open-hearted person on my path to God.

Someone once asked a Kung fu teacher, how long does it take for the average person to earn a black belt. The teacher answered, the average person doesn't earn a black belt.