5: The Campus

"So this is your room. It should have everything you need including a fridge with snacks and drinks. If you find that you are in need of something, just call out my name directly." Mr. Average tells me.

"...thanks."

He sighs, "...You don't have to listen to another word I say, but please listen to at least this, don't invite anyone into this room. You've probably heard that vampires can come in only if invited, well it's true. Some students will try to trick you, but don't fall for it." ...Sara talked about that before, so I guess it has to be true.

"Once I hand this key over to you, not even I will be able to enter this room without your permission. You may make friends, but I recommend not to invite even them in." He places the key into my hand and backs away from the doorway. ...I wanna chuck this at his face.

His eyes shift off down the hall, "An escort to show you around will be here in the next few minutes...so with that, I formally welcome you to Saint Hav-" Yes, thank you for welcoming me to prison, shut up now. A defeated sigh is heard while shutting the door.

...Guess I can't complain about my cell though. This room is twice the size of mine back at home.

Portraits of landscapes hang on walls painted soft cream. In one corner resides a hefty bookshelf stocked with colorful books and beside it; a wood-stained, double-door dresser. In the center, two maroon sofas are accompanied by a rectangular coffee table covered with an assortment of snacks. Sheer curtains billow over an open window that looks out to the sea of green. The mini-fridge matches a mini countertop with a sink, microwave and small cupboard overhead. Another door opposite my bed reads 'bathroom'.

Luxury melts into my palm while pressing into the mattress decorated with blush pink and white bedding. A muffled "Yo!" echoes from outside the door and I involuntarily shudder.

...No, it can't be. I crack the door an inch.

"Sup." I slam it. "Wait! I know, I- Ow! What the hell!?"

Peeking out, I watch the idiot blow on his fingertips. What...is he doing?

"Hey! Why'd your damn door burn me?!"

"Ah, so that's what it does to vampires..."

His smokey grays shift into a glare, "Don't play smart, that's my thing."

"Whoops, did I say that out loud?" ...Whatcha gonna do about it idiot, hit me? Well, you can't. Cause I'm safe in my littl- wait, why's he turning around?

Vampire boy heaves out a breath then faces me to bow like a butler, "Shall I be your escort, my lady?"

"Gross. No."

"Listen, you think I wanna do this shit?" Ah, there's the sarcastic tone I know and hate. He returns to his tall height, "I'm here cause Kregan said he'd excuse my class skipping if I showed you around."

"And you think that's gonna make me go with you?" I raise an annoyed brow.

"Or I could leave you here and some other vampire can come and show you around." Fangs glint into a smirk. "Vampires have a lot of different powers, I'm sure one can break this barrier." ...He's bluffing. "Well, see ya." With hands in pockets, he nonchalantly strolls down the hall.

...Hmph. Who cares? I don't need him.

Heavy footsteps echo throughout the hall while I look off in the opposite direction. Nope. Not giving in. The fleeting steps slowly dissipate along with my rapidly dissolving pride. Releasing a sigh of defeat, I point at him, "...wait."