10: THE LIBRARY

Lucian's thick, muscular arm glides across my waist as he tenderly tugs me to his side. Blistering eye of intense, fiery red stare down Judah. Leaving me behind, Lucian's fingers lace through Judah's black collared shirt as he lifts him to his taller height.

Lucian's knuckles whiten from his forceful grip, "Don't test me."

Releasing him, the sizzling heat of Lucian's hand finds its way into mine. Without a word from anyone, my small steps soon match with his long strides as we exit the rooftop. Struggling to peek a glimpse of Judah's face, a somber smile and pain so deep within mysterious, dark eyes rip a hole in my aching heart. The sight of him standing alone is sorrowful. My view of Judah and the outside world are cut short from heavy metal slamming shut.

Multiple taps echo deeply against each stair we silently descend. Though he is angry, Lucian's firm grasp never let's go of my hand. The gesture is comforting. We continue a moderate pace in absolute silence. As tension builds, I'm unable to handle the awkward situation any longer.

"Lucian." It comes as a hushed whisper. His pace slows to a standstill once we reach a large stair platform. Sunlight gleaming through a fixed window above shimmers across his dirty blonde locks. Even his back is breathtaking. Waiting for a reply, Lucian's broad shoulders continue to capture my sight. Why won't he turn to me?

"Why were you alone with him?" His surprisingly gentle tone catches me off guard.

As he stays turned away, my puzzled mind questions what emotions he's feeling, "I needed to figure out something..."

"Then take someone with you. You don't understand how dangerous Judah is." His words sound disappointed.

"...I was fine. You...misunderstand him."

Finally, those memorable cloudy greys finally rapture my vision, "Do you realize what he was doing to you?" Solid wall presses against my back as Lucian steps closer.

Though I want to say yes, stinging reality holds me back. That disgusting pain I felt moments before was...horrid. I had no idea what was happening to me. I was so terrified. My mind, my body; it wasn't mine to control anymore. It's like I was posse-

A gentle touch weaves me from my inner thoughts. Lucian's fingers tenderly brush through my wavy locks of platinum blond. Tucking them behind my ear, I meet his irresistible stare. "I'm sorry. But I need you to acknowledge how vulnerable you truly are to a vampire." Freeing my strands, the palm of his hand leans on the wall behind me.

"What do yo-" My words fade as he lowers his face until its inches from mine. Gulping down nervousness, sexy hooded eyes of stormy grey gaze directly at me. Radical thumping drums inside my ears as the world falls completely still around us. Steam feels as though it's sizzling off my now flustered, scarlet cheeks. Settling down, my heartbeat softens while looking into those mesmerizing eyes of mysterious grey.

Lucian's lips part as if he were speaking but no sound can be heard. Yet, I want to listen. Every word that is spoken through those lips is everything to me. I'm unable to hear them but I feel them telling me what to do. His words make the world seem calm. Pleasant. Peaceful. Then, my serenity comes to an end as Lucian's face withdraws into darkness. Everything I know is suddenly lost in a forest of an unknown void.

Startled, I rise in a frantic awake. Aching fingers latch onto ruffled bedsheets. Beads of sweat steadily slide down my face. Eyes dart wildly across the sunlit room as I question how I'm now in my bed. Desperately, my mind tries to recollect the memories of yesterday. Nothing. They're just...gone.

-------

"He did what?"

"Hypnotized you." Charlotte releases her grip from my temples, "As a half-blood, it's a bit tricky to fully hypnotize someone. But for a royal, it's as simple as snapping a finger."