12: THE CALL

The tight feeling of dispaired sinking dissipates at the sound of mom's melodious voice. Tears pool over the edge to drip endlessly from my chin. Stiff tension finally eases. She's alive. Thank god. Though I desperately wish to cry out in joy, my voice becomes nonexistent.

"...Hello?" Slight irritation is now present in her voice. My jaw lowers with the intent of speaking but not a word is uttered. Words. They won't come. The feeling of happiness is so overwhelming that I can't even speak. It just doesn't feel real... as if I were dreaming...

"...I knew I shouldn't have answered... Stop calli-!"

"Wait no! Mom! It's me!" Sound finally breaks from its silent chamber. Uncontrollable shakes claim my body. Hands are unable to steady the phone they grip. A tense pause holds both of us captive.

"...Marzipan?" Her tone now fragile. "Is it...really you?" Each word trembles viciously. "...You're...okay. My baby girl... you're okay..." She squeaks as tears choke back her words.

"...Mom." Delighted tears cascade down my cheeks. "How have you been?"

"Oh, Marzi...even after what you went through, your still worrying about me." Her soft chuckle comforts me. "Tell me dear, has anyone...hurt you?" Hurt me...? What even is pain anymore. I've been through so much in so little time that I couldn't even process all the things that have happened to me....

Hollow knocks at the door nearly cause me to drop the phone. Oh no. "Mom, give me one second. Stay quiet." I whisper so inaudiably that I almost can't hear myself. With a swift click, I mute my sound and place the phone beneath the bedsheets. The door soon consumes my vision. Feet glue to the carpeted floor below. Palms grow soggy with sweat. She already found out and is already here to kill me. What the hell am I gonna... Wait. She can't get me while I'm in this room.

Fuzzy carpet tickles the bottom of my feet as I shuffle to what awaits behind the door. Air fills to the brim in my lungs. Tightness crushes every organ in my body against each other. ...I'm going to be trapped in this room for the rest of my life... The smooth metal of the handle feels cold when it presses into my spastic palm. With reluctant hesitation, I turn it. The breath I'd been holding, stings as it quickly escapes my chest. My heart settles. Thank the lord.

"Ms.Bellemy." Alice's ruby red smile showers me with calmness. "I'd like- are you ok? You look like you were crying and your heart is racing." The beauty switches into nurse mode.

"Ah." Crap. "Uh...I just got so captivated by this book I found at the library is all."

"I see...glad you're enjoying our resources then." She clears her throat, "Anyways...I would like to speak about the incident from before, mind following me to my office?" The red-stained smile is pleasant but those blue eyes are serious. Damn...I can't just say no to a teacher...

"...Yes, ma'am. If you'd just give me one moment though, I need to use the restroom." My exaggerated grin shines from cheek to cheek.

With her nod of approval, Alice's face disappears from view as I gently close the door. ...You really had to come at the worst time. Grabbing the phone buried under blankets, I rush into the bathroom. A timer continually counts the seconds while a vibrant red prohibited sign shows I'm still muted. ...What should I do? If mom or I say anything, Alice might hear it. Running through all the possible options, I decide. I need to do this quick.

With a sharp exhale, I end the call. My fingers fly across the small buttons, searching through the phone to silence the sound. With a few switched settings I pray it does the trick. Next, I click rapidly to find text messages. Darting eyes move up and down as I speedily type out a message. If she calls back, I'm done for. With a trembling thumb slamming send, plastic clamps down on plastic as the cherry charm dangles around. Please don't call. Whatever you do, don't... After a few moments of restless silence, calmness eases over me. The phone remains free of texts or calls. Jeez, even on a flip phone, I'm still faster than my mom. That's just sad.