9: THE ROOFTOP

Staring at the swaying shadow cast by my feet that are unable to reach the ground, my mind hovers on a phrase that disturbs me to the core.

"Judah is forbidden to ever enter into this room."

But why...I understand that he's a bit strange but...

A radiant white fanged smile quickly flashes across my mind; interrupting my thoughts. The weight of my head becomes heavy and falls back against the benches backrest. Stunning cloudless blue skies enrapture my sight as an irritated sigh exhales forcefully from my lips. I gather tons of information but I'm still thinking about how annoyed I am at Lucian. It's his own fault that I'm ignoring him...but...maybe I should talk to him now and settle this...I'm just so mad that he didn't even look at me while I was in there! Flirting with that stupid blonde roy-

Subtly approaching footsteps clicking against the concrete pavement causes my mind to lose track of thought. Glancing down, the devil that's shrouding my inner mind is briskly making his way towards me. Is he a goddamn mind reader or what?  Hastily grabbing my bag lying next to me, I prepare to make an escape.

"Still continuing to ignore me?" That irresistible voice whispers into my ear. Lucian's heat suddenly radiates onto my back. The sensation feels pleasant as it penetrates through my clothes onto my chilly skin. Beige, felt cloth comes extremely close into view as his tall, warm body stands inches away once I turn to face him. Though, Instead of looking up, my eyes shift past Lucian. Off into the still, calm world around us.

"That's the plan." The words spill out automatically. Great. Good job Marzi, this is the opposite of what you were supposed to do.

"...That's not fair. You're openly avoiding me yet you're willing to meet with Judah? He locked you in a room and threatened to kill your father."

Agitation grows. The tip of my finger assertively presses into Lucian's soft jacket but firm chest. My intense jade greens finally meet with his mysterious cloudy greys "And you held me against my will to drink my blood, are you any better?" Hey idiot, you keep making this worse.

Pained eyes plummet to the floor, "...I'm sorry. I didn't realize you'd be this upset...I shouldn't have done it. At that moment I was just so angry seeing you with Judah that I-" Sorrowful eyes of smokey silver plead for forgiveness. A tightening throb invades the heart in my chest. Parting my lips to speak, no words end up forming. The silver is replaced with dirty blonde as his eyes fade from my view. Lucian's broad shoulders are the last thing I see as he walks away with his head lowered.

Why couldn't I just accept his apology? He's obviously upset about this...

"Trouble in paradise?" A soothing voice says beside me. Glancing over, flowing black hair sways gracefully in the wind. Alice. Her hands rest in the pockets of her flashy, white lab coat. That tender, red-lipped smile causes my worries to dissipate slightly.

-------

Sipping warm green tea from a small floral mug, my nervous eye contact meets with Alice's gentle one, "May I ask you something?"

"What would you like to know?" She rests her head against her hand, which leans against the armrest of a black leather chair.

The cup clinks against the table as I set it down, "What's the deal with Mr.Kragen? I heard that he, the dean of the school, was a half-blood."

Her crystal blue eyes flick away from mine, "...it's as you've heard. He is not of royal blood."

"So then how is it possible that he's running the school? Some of the students don't even respect him."