Chapter 5

After reaching back home, I guided Heather to my parents' bedroom where she could spend the night. I wanted to thank her for not leaving me alone at home because it really was a solace to have someone around, but she had been scowling at me the whole time and she slammed the bedroom door shut before I could even say anything.

I sighed, going back to my room. Why couldn't I control my tongue for once?

I opened the door but didn't step inside. Would I ever be able to go to sleep again, knowing that my mother wouldn't be there when I woke up? How was I going to spend the rest of my life?

Fear grasped me. What would I do without my mother? Where would I go? Where was my father? How was I going to find him? How was I going to deal with all this alone?

Tears welled up in my eyes. I was so alone, so scared, so lost.

A lone teardrop trickle down my left cheek.

Leaning against the doorframe, I watched the moonlight pouring through the window from the left, illuminating my room, hoping it would distract me from my thoughts. My room seemed so different now. It's almost like I was a whole different person when I woke up from my nap in the afternoon.

Eventually, I sighed. What was the use? I shut the door behind me. Walking over to the curtains, I drew them together and shuffled towards my bed.

Thunk.

"Arghh!" I howled as a jolt of pain shot up from my foot. I looked down, irritated. I'd stubbed my toe against the bed side table. Could things get any damn worse? Gritting my teeth, I sat down and lifted my legs up, rubbing my thumb against the unfortunate toe. It's like every single thing in this big universe was looking for a way to annoy me. And it was doing pretty well.

When the pain had subsided a little, with no change in my frustration, I pulled the covers over myself and rested my head on the pillow.

Throughout the silent hours of the night, I tossed and turned in my misery. I'd never be able to sleep properly again. I felt downcast at my helplessness. I couldn't even do anything for my parents. Of course, I'd start my search from the wall. But what if I didn't find anything?

A low breath escaped my lips. No. I had to find something. If my mother had left the house with my father and I'd found her near the wall, then that wall was definitely linked to both my mother's accident and my father's disappearance.

I'm going to find out, I decided. For my mother. For my father. For myself. I'm going to find out why this happened, what on earth she meant by 'fragments', 'numbers' and 'password', and how a wall could possibly make noises.

But I'd have to plan something out first. I'll go tomorrow, I decided, to visit that wall; to see if I can find something that might help.

Yes. That was the only way. That wall was too peculiar to ignore. If I had to make any progress, it would start from there.

But...if I told anyone else it had made absurd noises, they'd just think I had lost my mind. No one would believe me.

Mrs Janet did. She heard it, too. But she was only my neighbour. And hadn't she done enough for me already? I needed someone else to talk to, maybe someone who would believe me.

Well, there was someone you could talk to. But you pushed her away like an idiot. She'll probably hate you more than anyone else.

Maybe I could ask my friends for help. Anna, Alex, and Holly.

Or should I ask Heather first?

Argh. I rubbed my eyes with my palms. You're so indecisive. Can't you think straight for once?