Chapter 6

Gaping at the note, I read it three or four times just to be sure.

Did you check the hole in the corner of the wall?

I shook my head. Who could have left this note?

Hastily, I shoved it in my pocket and left the bathroom. I locked myself back in my room, sat down on my bed and pulled it out once more.

Whoever left this note, obviously had access to this house. And the only person who knew about the hole was...

Heather. But why would she do that, anyway? We checked the hole together, didn't we? Did someone else know about the peculiarity of the wall, too?

I crushed the note in my hand. Were my uncle and Heather hiding something from me, or am I just getting paranoid? Should I simply dismiss everything as a coincidence?

But Heather hadn't told me how she knew so much in such a short period of living here. And my uncle arrived right when I asked her. Could he know about this as well?

If he did, there was a possibility that he might have left the note. But the question is, why? What was he trying to tell me?

And besides, Heather and he might even know about my parents.

A war was waging inside my head. I didn't want to tell them anything if they weren't trustworthy—but if I wanted to know about my parents, they were the only ones I could talk to.

Ugh. Wasn't there any other way I could—

The silence broke as my ringtone filled the air, making me jump. I pulled it out from my pocket to read the name.

Anna Banana.

God, I'd completely forgotten about Anna. I winced, thinking of all the plans we had made for our post-exam period. The least I could've done was let her know about my mother...

Which made me think...should I tell Anna about my present situation?

I analysed my options. I still wasn't sure if I should talk to Heather and my uncle. Mrs Janet had done enough. Mr Lee? I hadn't thought of him, but he was my neighbour, and again, I didn't want to make him worry. This wasn't a temporary ordeal. For how long could he help me? Maybe Anna would be the right choice.

I picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Gosh, Amy. Were you trying to fish your phone from the toilet? Why did you take so long?"

I rolled my eyes. "Anna. We need to talk."

She scoffed. "Uh, yes, we do. I've been spamming you since forever! You said we were going to have a sleepover—"

"Anna!"

"Yes!"

"Look," I stopped. Should I tell her everything on the phone? Or in person?

I exhaled. "Anna. What I'm about to tell you is absolutely insane, so I want you to shut up for the next few minutes and listen to every word I say. I swear I'm telling you the truth and I need your help."

"You always need my help," she chuckled. "But okay, go ahead."

I told her everything; my parents, the wall, my uncle and cousin, the note, the other world, everything—and I made sure to whisper the whole time. I couldn't risk being overheard.

I took a deep breath after I was done, then said, "Anna? You believe me, right? Because I'm dead serious."

Believe me, for God sake. Please.