Chapter 7

I knew what it said before I even read it.

"Yeah, I got one, too," I replied.

"What do you think we should do?" she asked.

"I'll think about it later. Is my friend Anna downstairs?"

"Yeah, she's been waiting for you since, like, forever."

I groaned. "She's going to screw me."

Heather laughed. I walked down the stairs slowly, awaiting the doom I was going to experience.

"Amy!" Anna said, getting off the couch, her curly hair bouncing with her. The light shone off her white teeth, a pretty contrast to her beautiful dark skin. "I've been waiting for you for so long! You slept again, didn't you? I knew it right when you said we'd meet at eleven!"

I rolled my eyes. "So why didn't you change the timing then?"

"Well—"

I raised my hand. "Never mind. There are more important things to do."

"Aren't you going to have breakfast?"

Heather turned to me. "I can make chocolate pancakes."

My stomach grumbled at the last two words. "Yes, you can. Bestow upon me thy magnificent consumables, and I shall be forever indebted to thee, O amazing one!"

They both laughed. Heather bowed, old fashion-style, and walked into the kitchen. I went over to Anna. Pulling out the note from my pocket, I said, "I found it stuck on my bedroom door this morning. And yes, Heather got the same note."

She read it, then looked at me as I plopped down on the couch beside her. "Amy, are you sure you want to do this? For one, this person entered your room, in the middle of the night, to stick this note." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "If it isn't your uncle or Heather, then there's a stranger coming in and going out of your house without you knowing. That's crazy, Amy. And for two, now he's asking you to come to the sweets shop, with information about your parents, and the wall, as a bait. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"But what else should I do, then?" I asked. "I'd already grilled Heather with so many questions yesterday—for how long am I going to ask her about everything? Besides, maybe this person knows more about the wall than Heather does. I need to do this."

"Well, if you've already made up your mind, then alright, I guess. I still doubt you should do this, but..." She sighed. "Don't go alone. I'll come with you."

"Of course I won't go alone," I replied. "But are you sure you want to come? I was thinking Heather should come with me because she got the note. But you didn't."

"I want to come too."

"But—"

She raised her eyebrows. "But?"

She had the challenging look in her eyes, the one telling me that me if I didn't step back, she'd fry me in a pan and feed me to the pigeons. I raised my hands in defeat. "Okay, you can come."

"I know."

I laughed as Heather came out of the kitchen, holding a plate of glorious chocolate pancakes with what I knew was maple syrup. Its aroma filled the room and I took a deep breath, licking my lips as she set it down on the coffee table.

It was a delicious breakfast, but I didn't savour every bite of it like I used to. I might never again. The way my mother made it was special. I realised that after you lose someone you love, you'll be constantly reminded of their loss, particularly during those times of of the day which you would normally spend with them.